• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Price quote

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
Well i saunter into this differential shop the other day, Its a small one man gig and all he does is diffs and axles, he shares the shop with his buddy who only does drivlines. Then he quotes me 8 hours of work to set up gears in my rear, and 7 in the front. He said total would be about 1100 dollars for both and the price would be the same whether i bring him the axles attached to the heap or not. Day light robbery? Seems a bit steep and for a pro 8 hours per diff seems a little pricey. Any one know a good shop around fort lewis? Thanks for the help.

The shop is charging you 73 bucks per hour. Average around here is about 60-65 per hour.

I just did a rear dana 44 last weekend, with a spool, 5:38's and it took me 6 hours. that did not include reinstalling the shafts. (Needs brake plates cleaned up).
I've done well over 30 axles now and 6 hours is about average. Doing the front 44 for the guy saturday, and I expect it will be another 6 or 7 hour job with the wheel bearings and spindle clean up.

But he's a club member so I only charged 100 an axle. Plus he assists.

He's just charging you labor hours from a book, that doesn't mean it will take him that long. $73/hr would be pretty normal around here, but I would expect it to be cheaper out there.

I would look for a better deal, but it isn't "daylight robbery".

Going rate here is 300.00 a dif.

1100.00 seems insane!

I got quoted $1500 about 6 years ago from a shop w/ a very good rep. That included the gears and install kits. Several quotes from other shops averaged around $1100. If your quote included the parts, then that's actually not over the top pricing.

Tom R. said:
I got quoted $1500 about 6 years ago from a shop w/ a very good rep. That included the gears and install kits. Several quotes from other shops averaged around $1100. If your quote included the parts, then that's actually not over the top pricing.

What he said, if that includes parts its not a bad deal. If I didnt work at a shop or couldnt do it myself, I would pay that to have it done.

AARON

Average around here is $1200 front and rear parts and labor.

That sounds cheap, I was recently quoted $1500 to regear both axles

I just regeared, 3.55 to 4.10. $1400 all new bearings and seals. He showed me how bad the old ones were after 10 years. Glad I had it done...
Rick

SUA SPONTE said:
this guy wanted 2000 with parts- guess ill keep shoping

What parts... OX's or ARBs?? that's crazy... you can order superior gears, carrier, and Timken install kits for around 600.00... Then most places around here charge 225.00-250.00/axle. Lockers usually dont add any costs to the install unless you're running an airline, or cable.

1800.00 parts and labor for gear/bearing/seals is the average going rate down here...I bought my own tools and now do my own work....at least IF one breaks I know who to raise cain at....:jester:

Daayam.

I pay $150 labor, and provide my own parts. Parts run me about $240 per diff, open. Add applicable locker charges.

The install usually takes about 3 hours, taking the guy an empty housing that is cleaned.

Back