• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

call me stupid

PETEY

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep won't start. have power to everything, lights, dash, can even hear the fuel pump running. turn the key and everything turns on but the starter.

It has brand new cables and connections

Battery is fully charged.

does this sound like a fusible link? I am pretty sure it's funny looking wire coming from the solenoid on the starter.

any ideas ?

try the neutral safety switch. Move your shifter in and out of gear a few times. then try starting it.

Then do a search on neutral safety start switch. Lots of info on it here.

Have you tried starting it in neutral or hitting the starter solenoid with a hammer....stupid? :D

Might as well start there since it's easy.

Crawl down under the XJ and wack the starter with a hammer or the small end of a breaker bar. This will sometimes reseat the brushes and get you another start or two. If your starter is covered in oil, it can seep inside and also cause problems with the brushes contacting.... Stupid.
I don't really think your stupid, I just follow instructions really well.

Yes I am stupid today guys, brain farts and all. I already tried starting it in neutral, nothing. I just wacked the turd out of the starter and solenoid. started right up. Looks like I am buying another starter.

thanks for the rapid responses fellows. I was kind of in a hurry and lacking time to go through and figure this out. My Grandpa just died a few minutes ago and my dad who is in a wheelchair is at home waiting for me to pick him up. Thanks again. I will just carry my bfg in the heep until I can go to the parts store.

PETEY said:
Yes I am stupid today guys, brain farts and all. I already tried starting it in neutral, nothing. I just wacked the turd out of the starter and solenoid. started right up. Looks like I am buying another starter.

thanks for the rapid responses fellows. I was kind of in a hurry and lacking time to go through and figure this out. My Grandpa just died a few minutes ago and my dad who is in a wheelchair is at home waiting for me to pick him up. Thanks again. I will just carry my bfg in the heep until I can go to the parts store.

Definitely glad to hear it started after the hammer...that makes things pretty easy with regard to the Jeep.

Very sorry to hear about the loss though. Hang in there man.

-river

Thanks again guys. went and bought a new starter. works just fine. Grandpa was pretty old anyway. ; ) I am just transportation for my old man.

Back