• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud POP when turning steering wheel a full turn on '87 XJ?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK... just replaced the brakes and bled the fluid, then had to replace the starter on my son's '87 XJ Wagoneer... now when he turns the steering wheel fully to the right or left, there is a very loud POP sound. I couldn't really isolate it, but it almost appears to be coming f/the front drivers side around where the top of the shock mounts... or under the air filter box.

I couldn't see the steering linkage binding or loose, but that doesn't mean it isn't. I had to add a little bit of power steering fluid (he had almost let it run dry about 2 months back and filled it up then too). It was popping almost like the frame was cracking or something like that.

Any suggestions as to what I can look for? It was really hard pinpointing the sound, but it's sure loud.

Thanks for any suggestions.

99% chance that it is the track bar. Just start wiggling the front end pieces and you'll find what ever it is.

verify the steering gear box is not pulling away from it's frame mount as the wheel is turned-- bolts coulda backed out, box coulda cracked, or the frame material coulda stressed and torn.

reinforcement plates are available IIRC- but I'm a big fan of making my own stuff 'cuz I know it's made stronger than I'll ever need it to be!

--Shorty

My XJ did that as well and check it all I thought but just like Shorty said it was the bolts had backed out.

thanks all... I found another thread that should help along w/this one. I'll report back if/when I find the pop/crack noise culprit.

Back