• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" brake conversion

CrazyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just spent 30 minutes reading post about this I have a 9" replacing my 8.8 trying to use the 8.8 brakes I've read many post about this but the 4 bolt flange pattern on the 8.8 brakes is to small for my 9. what am I doing wrong where do I get the brake setup from I don't care to spend a ton of money on custom brackets. I hope I didn't just waste my time drilling my 8.8 rotors out to 5x5.5

CrazyXJ said:
come on nobody gonna help

It would help to know what 9" you have, what bearing it's using and what the exact differences are as far as the bolt pattern not lining up.

The 8.8 Explorer rear discs use the exact same bolt pattern and center hole that the Big Bearing Torino housing end shares.

The only difference is that the caliper bracket registers on a small shoulder on the 8.8 end and is only held on with the four bolts on the 9" housing. There is a small amount of registration on the oil seal, but not of consequence.

The Bearing set used is Timken Set 20. You will also need to pull the bearings and put a spacer ring between the seal retainer and the top of the seal to compensate for the difference in the thickness between the stamped steel drum backing plate and the thicker cast caliper bracket.

None of which matters that much until you identify which housing end you have.

I have a bronco big bearing 9" and used lincoln mark 5 stuff on mine, everything is bolt on and has an integrated ebrake. I used a mid 90 f150 front rotor and had to grind down the flange a tad to get the rotor to fit.

good luck finding an old donor Lincoln with discs.

Back