• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emergency Brake Barely Working

lancey3

NAXJA Forum User
Alright when i got my lift put on my e brake seemed to not stop like it did prior to the lift. I have an auto so its not of utmost importance but kinda annoying nonetheless. Is there something that adjusts the amount of torque on the ebrake. does anyone have a diagram or a remedy for this?

*lance

you need to adjust your rear brakes properly.

the self adjuster mechanism frequently sticks, and then stops adjusting.

Take off the wheel, then pull the drum off.
You'll see a star wheel that has some threads on it.
Adjust the shoes until there is a light drag on the drum when you turn it by hand.
It is possible to do this from the brake backinf plate side, but it's a pita to do it one click at a time with a brake spoon.

If the brakes are adjusted properly then you can adjust the e-brake handle. I'm not sure where it's at on an XJ, but you should find it on the underside of the body, it will be a singel cable with an adjuster nut that "y"s off into the two cables that go to the drums. I'd be more inclined to believe that the brakes need adjusting though.

87manche said:
you need to adjust your rear brakes properly.

the self adjuster mechanism frequently sticks, and then stops adjusting.

Take off the wheel, then pull the drum off.
You'll see a star wheel that has some threads on it.
Adjust the shoes until there is a light drag on the drum when you turn it by hand.
It is possible to do this from the brake backinf plate side, but it's a pita to do it one click at a time with a brake spoon.

If the brakes are adjusted properly then you can adjust the e-brake handle. I'm not sure where it's at on an XJ, but you should find it on the underside of the body, it will be a singel cable with an adjuster nut that "y"s off into the two cables that go to the drums. I'd be more inclined to believe that the brakes need adjusting though.

so is a fairly simple procedure or should i have someone with more expertise do it?

Back