• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Last year for Jeep 4.0L I-6

I don't think it had anything to do with emission standards, they did a complete re-design of the "Wrangler", and wanted to go with a different engine, so they redesigned the Dodge Caravan V6 to put out a little more torque....The Wrangler was the last Jeep to be using the 4.0L, Liberty and GC V6's were both the 3.7L. Or hell, I could be WAY off....

Anything is possible - its whether all the OBDII electronics will either retrofit back to your '91 - including the computer and wiring harness - or whether you want to continue with RENIX (much simpler.)

They second option has been done more often and involves some minor mods chainging out sensors, etc. The Knock Sensor boss on the block may need drilling and tapping, IIRC. Those who've done it can link to their posts for more detailed info.

2001 for the AW-4 at least in a cherokee

Are you looking at getting a brand new engine? Cause if so, I'd look at getting a Golen.....

According to the guys at my local, 2007 will be the last model year for the AMC242, in the WK and the TJ.

I believe the AW4 is still in common production, but I'm not sure of that. You can check with Toyota as well, since it's their box.

The tooling for the AMC242 is being "retired" in favour of a new minivan engine (the 3.7L?) Dr. Z decided it would cost just as much to restore the 242 tooling as it would to ramp up production of the 3.7, and went with the latter.

Pity - because if the inline six is so bad, why does BMW continue to use it, why is Chevvy bringing it back in Vortec trim, and isn't Ford still using the 300I6 in some of their trucks?

If anything, the head may want to be redesigned slightly, but I can't see anything else being a great problem. The block hasn't had any changes - except for NVH reasons and the addition of the main brace when the engine went OBD-II in 1996...

the loss of the 4.0 was due mainly to new emission regulations and crash test standards. according to chrysler, it would have been "too costly" to make it acceptable in both departments.

Ten High said:
the loss of the 4.0 was due mainly to new emission regulations and crash test standards. according to chrysler, it would have been "too costly" to make it acceptable in both departments.

X2, this is what I was told by a Jeep engineer.

True, why bother to build an engine that easily lasts 2-300k, when the customer that first bought it has long since sold it. And those of us whom are impressed by it's power and longevity are not the 'new car customers' that need to be appealed to. And also, it's easier to hide the v-6 in the front crush structure of a vehicle than an I-6, long and almost firewall piercingly sharp, instead of wide and blunt.

yes i was watching something about diesels on how they make them last so long ( million miles or more) they said it had to do with ring design and cylinder wall strength. they could produce a million mile engine but why? the vehicles dont last that long. vehicles now aday are like computers they are out dated when you buy them. every year emissions improve, every year theres new gadgets. everything evolves

JoshRountree said:
Seems like I've read somewhere that the 242 will still be produced because the XJ is still sold in the People's Republic in China...
Your talking about the Jeep 2500.....the only thing that even makes that a jeep is the badge and the fact they bought all the tooling from ChryCo. If you goto the website you see that they say they are not associated with Jeep in any way plus the Jeep 2500 doesnt use the 4.0, if it did it would be possible to import it here and theoretically have a new XJ. Though it uses some crappy Chinese 4 banger that couldnt possibly pass emissions here hence why there is no way to import it. There is a way to get the front clip imported here so you could have a different front end. Its kinda funny, its a new front end but it still uses the pre 97 rear end. Im sure plenty of you guys have seen this thing, just search for 'beijing Jeep'

BeijingJeep2500.jpg

RoadTrippin said:
Your talking about the Jeep 2500.....the only thing that even makes that a jeep is the badge and the fact they bought all the tooling from ChryCo. If you goto the website you see that they say they are not associated with Jeep in any way plus the Jeep 2500 doesnt use the 4.0, if it did it would be possible to import it here and theoretically have a new XJ. Though it uses some crappy Chinese 4 banger that couldnt possibly pass emissions here hence why there is no way to import it. There is a way to get the front clip imported here so you could have a different front end. Its kinda funny, its a new front end but it still uses the pre 97 rear end. Im sure plenty of you guys have seen this thing, just search for 'beijing Jeep'

BeijingJeep2500.jpg

I don't know how credible this information is, but this is where I read it from:

The 4.0 engine was in production in North America until 2006, when the Jeep Wrangler TJ was replaced by the new JK design that uses Chrysler's OHV 3.8 L V6. It is foreseeable that this engine may be made for many more years in the People's Republic of China, where a slightly modified version of the XJ Jeep Cherokee with 2.5 and 4.0 engines are still being produced.

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Straight-6_engine

Back