• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

simple XJ question

stimulatechamind

NAXJA Forum User
ok i know i could search this on the web.. but no i want to give you guys(jeep gurus) a chance first..

ok so i might get a xj as a trail rig and i was wondering what has more clearance from the bottom of the tc skid an xj or a tj? and if i got a 5.5" lift on both what would have more clearance... j/w sorry for the noob question

TJ's have a shorter wheel base so therefore a better breakover rating. I've never gotten under either and measured but I think you need to think of all the issues of wheeling. Stability, turn radius, etc. (you may already have considered these, just throwing it out there). I have drivin both and though the TJ is a great wheeler I like the stability of the XJ a little better. The running gear is almost identical.
Did I mention XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ.......
I'm a little partial.

88xjlover said:
TJ's have a shorter wheel base so therefore a better breakover rating.
I would agree with this. The axle clearance would be the same, but the TJ has an edge on wheel base and higher clearance between the axles.

We own a YJ with an overaxle lift and 35's. Good clearance, but unstable.

88xjlover said:
TJ's have a shorter wheel base so therefore a better breakover rating. I've never gotten under either and measured but I think you need to think of all the issues of wheeling. Stability, turn radius, etc. (you may already have considered these, just throwing it out there). I have drivin both and though the TJ is a great wheeler I like the stability of the XJ a little better. The running gear is almost identical.
Did I mention XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ.......
I'm a little partial.

LOL yea i own a TJ with 33s but i want a cherokee also for some reason i love the look of a nice lifted cherokee.. on some 35s so soon That will be my new toy and ill keep the tj to drive topless on them hott summer days :patriot:

x2 :lecture:

Back