• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire time!!

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
The 3" OME lift is going on this weekend so it will be time for some new tires next week. I think I have narrowed my search down to Toyo Open Country A/T's or BFG KO's. I ran the KO's on my 88' and I was not impressed with their performance on or off road and I would prefer to try something different. The BFG's did not last long at all(40k) and they were always terrible in the rain. This is a DD and sees pavement 90% of the time with lots of highway driving. The trails around here are light to moderate but I have ran into some thick mud in some places so I would prefer something with a better self-cleaning tread than the KO. Any suggestions? I searched for the Toyo A/T but only found a couple of threads. The Revo's are out because they are too expensive...

I love my Nitto Grappler AT's and their price!

Wow, I had a set of 33X12.5R15 BFG at's that were street and trail. I put 70,000 on them and they still had about 20% tread left. On the road they kicked butt. In the snow they were even better (aired down to about 6.5 psi). I took them on the rubicon and they grip awesome on dry rocks.

They didn't do well in the mud, but they are an AT.

I don't have any personal exp with the TOYO's but magazine reviews the toyo MT's as Crazy Good street trail tire.

IMHO, the BFG AT is the best tire out there if your rig sees 75% road 25% trail.

'Friend of mine ran Toyo ATs on his Scrambler. They worked very well in the places he took it. (rocks and trails mostly) Unfortunately, he took the jeep down to link the rear before he got too many miles on them, so I can't say anything about tread life. (actually, they seem to be wearing well and showing no unusual problems after 2 years in the garage,...)

The prefered tire out here seems to be the Goodyear MTR. We have lots of rocks and very little mud though, so I can't talk about their mud performance. However, they seem to work very well in sand and on vertical surfaces. :)

Here's a trick to buying tires. http://www.discountiredirect.com the "direct" site, not discount tire.com, or tires.com. Free shipping and no sales tax. What they advertise is the cost to your doorstep.

I'm running the Toyo ATs in 30x9.50 - they do pretty well on and off road, but the couple of times I hit heavy mud they didn't do too great. Of course, I'll admit that driver error might have contributed to that, so YRMV.

The Toyo MTs, as far as I know, aren't available smaller than 33, so if you're looking for 31s, scratch the Toyo MT off your list right now.

Rob

One of the installers in the office runs Toyo Open Country A/Ts. He says he's had pretty good luck with them, snow/highway/extremely rough gravel county roads. On road truck, so I can't tell you about trail prowess.

On the other hand...I used to run Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires on the S-10. It didn't see trail time, but got some good runs in the snow and a little bit of mud (brother's yard). I gotta tell ya, I like them a lot better than the Wrangler RT/S, and they were excellent in snow, ice, rain, etc.....especially on a 2WD light truck....

I would have to put in a vote for the Kumho Road Venture MT KL71's. Limited to avail sizes, but come in a 31" and look very aggresive and road worthy. I've heard good things about them over on Pirate.

My experience with BFG AT's

Had them on a wrangler, we did 3-4 weekend trail runs a year with a small group. Tires performed very well, noticably better than some the others had.

Had KO AT's on my v-10 excursion and had over 85K soccer mom miles on them. Maybe rotated them twice in that time. They probably had 10K more in them, but I had front end work done, I figured I got my moneys worth and wanted new.

I can't imagine how long they would last on a lighter jeep.

Back