• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4?????

jeepster96

NAXJA Forum User
my TC wont lockup and overdrive wont work. sometimes will hunt for it but 90% of the time it just stays in 4th gear. anyone know what the prob could be. its just killing my gas milage:hang:

Let me guess, tires at 31 inches or bigger and stock (3.55) gears?

Check the fuse for the trans controller, it blowing can cause that failure.

Also, if your transmission computer thinks are you pressing the brake pedel for any reason (I've seen switch failures that would cause this).

-C

DirtyMJ said:
Does that cause problems or something?

Yeah, The larger diameter tire is rolling a farther distance for each turn of the transmission. The VSS & output shaft sensor report that the tranmission is working harder and down shifts to third. What ends up happenening is the TCU and ECU keep the transmission hunting for gears. It will drop into and out of overdrive with the slightest change in grade of the road.

DaffyXJ said:
Yeah, The larger diameter tire is rolling a farther distance for each turn of the transmission. The VSS & output shaft sensor report that the tranmission is working harder and down shifts to third. What ends up happenening is the TCU and ECU keep the transmission hunting for gears. It will drop into and out of overdrive with the slightest change in grade of the road.
:laugh: i can't imagine the people who run 35's on em

right here is one of them..lol. i put her in 3 on the gear selector and just drive. isn't too bad till i try to climb some of the mountains going over to the national forest..but im not a speed deamon so it doesn't bother me too much. 5:13s are in the plans though

DaffyXJ said:

On HO engines? My renix sure as hell doesn't do that - and I am running 31s with 3.55s.

I think the Renix did not have an output sensor, but I am no expert and like Dirty above mine don't do that

DirtyMJ said:
On HO engines? My renix sure as hell doesn't do that - and I am running 31s with 3.55s.

All the renix equiped jeeps I have driven are sluggish to downshift anyways. I just took a friends 90 MJ with 33s and 3.55s for a cruise the other night and noticed that. It stays in OD better because it is much less willing to come out of OD even with the switch turned to "power"

my 90 renix with 3:55 and 31's hunted quite a bit at lower speeds and never used 2nd gear for more than a couple seconds. Come to think of it, it did stay in OD too long as well.

TC Lockup is electronically controlled by a solenoid - your solenoid may have blown (it's happened. It's fairly rare, but it's happened.)

Nominal resistance for an AW4 solenoid is 13 ohms +/-2. You can see them when you pull the pan. I could look up which one controls lockup, but I don't recall offhand (maybe someone here does?)

Resistance is measured between the spade lug and the solenoid case.

Back