• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LOL! - where's my horn?

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
90 XJ ltd.

I removed my horn a while ago (it was in the way of some mods, I think) and am finally getting around to putting in the air horns.

Problem is I can't find the wire that used to go to the horn as I want to use it to trigger the relay for the airhorns. I took it out so long ago that I can't remember the stock position for the horn. Can anyone tell me where the stock horn mounts to?

Thanks

Sure, they are pretty hidden but they are behind the edges of the bumper below the headlights and parking lights. Hard to access them with the bumper in place but if you remove the rubber splash guards that go from fender to fender they can be accessed from the wheelwell. The one on the passenger side also has the vacuum bottle in the way if going from the front(bumper removed), but can also be gotten to by the rubber removal method.

aha, that's probably why I removed them - to install my custom bumper.

Thanks a bunch, I should be able to find the wires there now.

No problem. Found mine because they stopped working after a deep water crossing. Bad ground.

Hi Guys;

My Horn on a 1998 Jeep Cherokee;4.0 Litre does not work when the horn pad is depressed.

When i connect a lead direct from the battery the horn blows.

Any thoughts on what i can do to fix this problem.

thanks and regards
collin

The switch is probly broke or dirty or the fuse?

There is a horn relay but I don't know here yours is located. Check the wireing diagram and trace it down. Put power to the coil in that relay and if the horn blows it is indeed the horn switch on your steering wheel dirty or broken.

AfricaXJ6 said:
Hi Guys;

My Horn on a 1998 Jeep Cherokee;4.0 Litre does not work when the horn pad is depressed.

When i connect a lead direct from the battery the horn blows.

Any thoughts on what i can do to fix this problem.

thanks and regards
collin

Coincidentally I've just had the same problem on my 93 Cherokee. Sensible approach is to check the circuit in logical sequence. The first simple checks are:

- check fuse (in panel in driver's footwell). In mine it's Fuse 11. If fuse is intact, check with multimeter that there's power to the fuse terminal

- check relay (in relay block behind lower edge of dash panel beside steering column - you have to be a limbo dancer to get at it). If you hear/feel the relay click when you press the horn button, it should be OK.

- check and test wiring connections especially at the horns themselves (can get wet/corroded). Difficult to see unless you remove the lining piece in the forward part of the left front wheel arch.

- if that doesn't reveal the fault, start again and test all other elements in the circuit (like the horn-ring contact in the steering wheel) .

Good luck!

br1anstorm

Back