• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Racing Seats

PapaGeno21

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has ever ran these seats before...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AMC%2D124101&N=700+4294925230+4294839019+400375+115&autoview=sku

Also, do you know if I need mounting brackets for them?

And if you DO have the seats, do I need a seatbelt harness?

My original plan was to get these seats, and then the bracketry and 4 point harness, but it would be like 320 a seat in total..

http://www.corbeau.com/products/ultra/ultra.shtml

Thanks in advance...

i tried to put a seat in a 1988 xj.i had the brackets also. nothing worked the seats were to wide where they mount to the floor. measure the stock seat i think they are 11-12 inches wide make sure the new seat is the same and is for your year .They are different for later models. Dan

My brother put in some seats similar to those when he was driving the XJ. I like them now that I have it to play with. They keep you from sliding around in the seat. I do know that he had to get a seat bracket so they would bolt up to the stock mounts. He also had to modify the bracket he bought so it would work. The way I have the seat adjusted the side boulster on the back area is about a half inch from the arm rest on the door.

DSC04275.jpg

DSC04277.jpg

DSC04279.jpg

I sat in those APC seats in the store, and I didn't like the front area (like under your thighs) as it stuck up too far for me. It kind of cut into the back of my legs.

I bought a similar set from Checkers and had to make completely custom mounts for them. It was definitely a snug fit. The hardest arts I ran into, was that the transmission hump is bigger on the driver's side, and kind of got in the way. I even had to bang the sheetmetal down a bot for added clearance.

I'll take some pics and post them later.

I really like the seats compared to the stockers though. I feel much secure. Another slight drawback is the side bolstering makes it more interesting to get in and out of.

i am putting those same blue seats in my xj 99 if that makes any difference and it is going to be a squeeze - i am makeing some brackets out of angle and 1 inch square tubing - the stock brackets slide which is why i am using them but make sure you dont make the brackets too high other wise your head will be ceiling level - trust me i know:doh:

I run the Corbeau Baja SS (not the Ultra SS) in our XJ and I love em. I am running the factory seat base sliders with some adapter plates that I made. They hold you in place very well but they are better suited for slim folks. The seats just barely clear the door handle and the seat belt clip is wedged pretty firmly between the seat and console. It takes a little more effort to get in and out compared to stock seats but the security you gain is worth it. I'll see if I have some picts.

Well I installed the seat.

I can barely get in and out of the truck, because I am 5'6" and the truck has 6" on 35's, and with all the side boulstering of the seat, its REALYL hard getting in and out.

The other problem, is the way the seat is, its lifted under my thighs, and I can barely reach the gas, because im short. So this thing has got to go.

I woke up this morning and my back was killing me also.

I want to get a different seat, I think im going to get the Baja SS not the Ultra SS because the Ultra has more side boulstering.

got this from JCWhitney, $10 more than Summits, no Logo anywhere on them, looks like the same seat. JCW calls them "GaragePro". I like the way they feel, had to fab up my own mounting brackets to go on the stock sliders.
image_2.jpg

Here are a couple of picts of the Corbeau Baja SS seats. They don't take up as much room as some and you can still use your factory console. I elevated the back of the seat brackets 1" so they would sit more level.

P3060076-800.jpg

P3050075-800.jpg

P3050073-800.jpg

P3060077-800.jpg

Last edited:
Not to hijack but are there any tall fat guys out there with aftermarket seats that you like? I'm 6'3" 280lbs and every seat I've got to try was painful to sit in. My friend thats into ricers had a pair that were so bad that I wouldn't ride with him anymore. And pep boys had a display a while back one seat was comfortable but it was but ugly

Back