• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which steering should i go with

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
my last post was really confusing and brought up multiple questions in one post which is never a good idea
i just picked up a jeep for near to nothing with a 6 to 6.5 inch lift that is definitly interesting
i can barely drive on freeway with bumpsteer going on right now. i tighetened down all track bar bolts and noticed tie rod end joint shot on passenger side.
P1010074.jpg

sway bar will be fixed in time but this actually is welded so i guess works. but i will just be remounting it to the original frame holes and buying disconnects for 6 inch lift. im lookin at jcr one ton steering, called them and they recommanded a drop pitman arm as well. shop i talked to likes teraflex but real expensive for that knuckle and currie doesnt seem all that much better.
what have you gone with and your thoughts. vechcile will be doin some street driving to all trails so i need to make it freewayable.

Good lord is that some scary steering.

Your Track bar should parallel your drag link. Make those two the same and your good to go.

I reccomend an RE track bar with maybe a drop bracket on the "frame"

Rule of thumb is just to keep the track bar and drag link parallel. You don't need a drop pittman arm. Just fix the track bar.

dellstopjeep said:
thats what i thought but like to re-clarfify. i laughed at it myself. who ships re components the fastest around here???

A lot of places ship directly from RE to the purchaser and are just a middleman. You'd have to find a place that actually carries an inventory of RE products. For best prices on RE, the last time I checked, was www.dc4wd.com. I don't think he carries stock and is just a middleman that has product shipped directly from RE. But I could be wrong.

It is hard to tell how off the angles are of your track-bar in contrast to your drag-link due to the darkness of the photo. If you aren't adverse to spending some money I would get all three components replaced, track-bar, drag-link and tie-rod. I recently did all three myself and made my own components. In the end I believe all three cost me under $300, but I haven't taken the time to add everything together but that is my best guess.

To get your linkages back closer to the stock angles: You can either get a track-bar with a drop bracket frame mount or buy a raised axle mount (welding required) that raises the track-bar up an appropriate amount.

For the drag-link you are pretty much stuck with either running a steering setup that is over the knuckle (OTK) and/or a drop pitman arm. Running OTK can pose a couple of issues that a search for OTK can explain.

When designed right, your steering will feel stronger and more stable than it ever has.

There are a number of good companies that can sell you a pre-fabbed steering package and a new track-bar. I would do some research on the steering first, prior to buying a track-bar to make sure that the two components are going to intertwine correctly.

well ordered track bar and drop bracket from david, he said it will be here in couple days so i will keeep you posted on how that goes.

Back