• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TNT Vs. Clayton.. FIGHT!

IronSmiles

NAXJA Forum User
Background: What I've got; 1998 XJ, HP D30 Front, 29 spline Chrys 8.25 rear, AW4 Auto trans, NP231 transfer case.. ALL in good condition. I want to mainly use my vehicle to trail ride, and explore any and all environments I can get to, while it still being my daily driver. I dont want to run anything bigger than 33"s but it will be an agressive tire, and I KNOW for a fact I will be doing the following mods.. all over armor, alloy shafts front and rear, arb air lockers front and rear, 4:56 gears, snorkel, exhaust.

Here's where I'm kind of hung up, I want a good lift, but I really cant decide on the pros and the cons.. so I'm stuck between two lifts..

TNT Y-Link 5.5

OR

Claytons 6.5 with rear coil conversion.

Money isn't an issue, what is an issue is I want this lift to LAST, I want durability and not have to change out parts all the damn time.. My concern is that while TNT seems more innovative, I might want to do a rear coil down the line and will have to have someone do it for me, for lack of time due to my job. And while the clayton lift I've heard is tough as hell, I've heard its near impossible to remove and gets in the way of just about everything.

So.. What's the best route to go? And is there something I haven't thought of?

I'm gonna say TNT.
I've never heard a bad thing said about their kits. The one guy i personally know who had a clayton said he wasn't happy with the clearance, and IMO a rear coil conversion is gonna be more trouble than it's worth. There's also the factor of welding on the unibody with the clayton, which doesn't seem like too good of an idea. Most likely you wouldnt have a problem, but I just dont like the idea of welding on the thin frame that much.
Either way, they're both solid and you would most likely be very pleased with either, but TNT y-links are just too damn nice.

IronSmiles said:
Money isn't an issue,
ok. Im sure some people can have soem fun with this.
I say go for the clayton. Rubber joints and Currie JJ's are a good way to go. His Rear double triangulated coil set up looks good.
BUT the TNT used with stiffeners and sliders will give you a solid subase. Those use RE joints, similar.
Truss up the 30, (TNT's looks good) Get the warn hub conversion, and get a Good steering system Make sure your front bumper will incorporate frame sleeves for steering box and added support.

as for SYE its your preference. I like the JB conversions. You'll need a rear driveshaft too.

IronSmiles said:
Money isn't an issue,

Hmmmm.......ya live in the Ranch by chance?:laugh: J/K I had to drive through there today, and saw a 3 Porches, 1 Ferrari, and 1 lambo and countless BMWs and Mercedes :eyes: .

I havn't heard much about clayton, but really good things about TNT.

i wish i was in your position.

OCMI_Teddy said:
Hmmmm.......ya live in the Ranch by chance?:laugh: J/K I had to drive through there today, and saw a 3 Porches, 1 Ferrari, and 1 lambo and countless BMWs and Mercedes :eyes: .

I havn't heard much about clayton, but really good things about TNT.

LOL Well when I meant money wasn't an issue I meant I had a good deal saved up, and have been waiting to do this for a few years now, and been shopping around for about six months.. but I'm not by any means rich. I'm so concerned with it because I want something tough as hell that will take me anywhere.

I AM really impressed with the TNT, and as for the rear coil.. I like the idea.. but come to think of it, I've never actually heard anyone complain about leaf springs either. I was going to go with the TNT stiffeners and sliders, and front bumper anyway, C ROK steering box and rear bumper with tire carrier.. but the truss isnt a bad idea at all.. and forgive my newbness but what exactly would the truss do for the 30?

keep it from turning into a pretzel

IronSmiles said:
LOL Well when I meant money wasn't an issue I meant I had a good deal saved up, and have been waiting to do this for a few years now, and been shopping around for about six months.. but I'm not by any means rich. I'm so concerned with it because I want something tough as hell that will take me anywhere.

I was just messin with ya. :cheers: When ya get it, I've got an extra pair of hands to help ya install it :chef:

Clayton.

TNT uses cheap steel in thier belly pans. I've personally seen two of their belly pans BENT. I also don't like the way the TNT arms connect to the belly pan. You have to remove the pan (that has the arms connected) to service your T-case, get your front DS out, etc. Plus TNT has about 4 frame tie in pieces that are a PITA to get to when you wanna drop the pan.

Clayton doesn't have any of that mumbo jumbo, plus thier Long arms are at MUCH better angles.

This is coming from me, who has seen both not only seen both products in action, but worked on both kits.

Clayton wins, hands down.

XJsport23 said:
I'm gonna say TNT.
I've never heard a bad thing said about their kits.

Apparently you need to do a search of the TNT kit. Like Karl has said their bellypans are thin and bend quite easily. Also they are one peice so if you need to drop the trany or trans out you have to drop the pan. The pan is attached to the longarms so guess what??? you are dropping half your suspension. Avonteone has a write up somewhere about him working on Ixnaxjs rig and without using the lift in his shop it would have been damn near impossable (not to mention he said doing it with the lift really sucked too). The TNT has nice clearance on the arms with their high bends but I do belive thats really the only + side to it. As for the claytons i know a lot of guys run them and have nothing but great things to say about them. Avonteone runs these and is a dealer. He beats them and has had no problems (that I know of) with them at all. The brace on it is actually 3 peices. left right and center. You can bolt the whole kit up and then "slowly" drive to a shop where they weld the outside parts to the chassis and the center part disconects to access the trans and trany. the rig can "sit" without movement on all 4 wheels with the brace out. much easier to work on vs the TNT.

I've seen clayton in person...Watched is kits in action. Have his kit on the front of my XJ. Runs damn good.

Had one issue with a clip and had a question. Clip was at the local hardware store..Easy to get. And clayton answered the phone on the 3rd...yep THIRD RING. Did I say Clayton HIMSELF answered the phone. Can't beat that kinda service.

No experience with TNT so I wont chime in.

I went with the Clayton kit, but haven't installed it yet. One thing that sold me on it is the fact that the extremely beefy hardarms sit lower than the front driveshaft. If I'm scaling a rock or a log, it's peace of mind to know that burly square tube steel will be hitting that obstacle before my front driveshaft will.

Ive ran rubicon and fordyce a few times with the tnt kit. Havent had a problem with anything. The Belly pan is actually real thick and I have hit it a few good times with only the paint getting scratched. I installed the kit with the jeep on the ground, it wasn't easy, but I have done harder things before. Also, the arms don't completely leave the frt. driveshaft open, but again doesn't guard it all the way either. I like it a lot and the kit will be going on a newer xj eventually.

Ok well Claytons is alot easyier to get a hold of... TNT used to be but now it's a game you need to start calling in the morning then call every 20 min you will get someone but you have to be persistent... Ive never seen tnt stuff up close I run there front truss and some other stuff by them And it is great quality So i have no doubts there y link kit is good. However I have 3 frends that run claytons up front and 1 that runs his rear coil setup. All of them are very pleased with his service and quality SO Clatons is tryed and true tnt Well there are + and - so figure on that

All i've ever heard are excellent things about clayton's kits.

...And i've never even heard of TnT....but maybe i'm just out of the loop a bit.

You can take that for what it's worth and good luck with whatever you choose :cheers:

I like them both. I dont think either would disappoint, both are on my list of step up mods. I the real distinction is the sweet heavy duty belly pan.

The main differences would be weather your cool with welding claytons or not. Whether the belly pan is a big deal to you, and price is a few hundred matters to ya. Both will be sweet and not disappoint.

Well if getting a TNT kit I might can get one more for $800 shipped and I mean I can get it to you in 1-2 weeks. Just a nFYI from a guy who found a source :D

OCMI_Teddy said:
I was just messin with ya. :cheers: When ya get it, I've got an extra pair of hands to help ya install it :chef:

Hey theres some BBQ and BEER with your name on it if we ever get the chance to! :cheers: And man I'm glad I did this post.. I was for awhile leaning towards TnT but I sent them three emails over the past few months and never got a response.. that kinda turned me off big time.. and with all those responses about claytons from personal experiance.. thats just a gimme at this point. It looks like the choice is clear.. so Claytons 6.5 w/rear coil conversion it is :thumbup:

IronSmiles said:
Hey theres some BBQ and BEER with your name on it if we ever get the chance to! :cheers: And man I'm glad I did this post.. I was for awhile leaning towards TnT but I sent them three emails over the past few months and never got a response.. that kinda turned me off big time.. and with all those responses about claytons from personal experiance.. thats just a gimme at this point. It looks like the choice is clear.. so Claytons 6.5 w/rear coil conversion it is :thumbup:

Right on, don't forget before and after pics.

Oh, and get some big angry tires for it too!!!!

Back