• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheby PU

Sarge

NAXJA Forum User
If ya remember one of my daughters wrecked my XJ and as I'm fixing it one of my other daughters wants to buy it. (5 kids all together after the recent marriage) Well this leaves me with no 4 wheel transpo which isn't bad as I usually ride the bike anyway....except winter is drawing near and I do miss a day or so of riding then. Plus it's hard to pick up more than one kid at a time on a bike!

I had planned to just get by until next year until a friend offered me a 1990 Chevy Cheyene 1500 V6 cheap. He said it has a 3.4L but I think he mistyped and it's a 4.3. It's got 180K on it and is a 5sp. Can anyone tell me bout this type of truck? Is there a website like this one for it?

Thanks

Sarge

Yeah,it's a 4.3. If it's in good shape,and that's what you're looking for,get it. They are,however,a dime a dozen for the V-6 models. That type of mileage is common for the V-6 models,as they were mostly sold to companies who needed a fleet of light-duty,but fullsized trucks(like heating and air type companies,etc.). Another common thing is for them to be ragged to death from young drivers that work for these companies. After all,it's not their truck,so why should they take care of it,right:laugh:? Anyway,I make sure it's never been in that kind of service. I personally wouldn't want a F/S V-6 P/U,but if all you're looking for is basic transportation with a little more payload,it should fit you fine.

My dad has one of those in about the same vintage. I don't remember the year for sure. His has the V-8 so it's not exactly the same comparison. The main problem has been the 5-speed tranny - he's rebuilt it twice. He does pull a heavy trailer with it - usually old cars or farm tractors. Other than that, it has been a pretty good truck.

Back