• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Funny noise from my clutch

XJ Coyote

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 cherokee sport, 4.0l, 5 spd with about 140k on it, and my clutch is making a weird noise. When my car is idling with the stick centered and my foot off the clutch, i hear a clicking noise coming from the bell housing, and when i press the clutch pedal, the sound goes away. at low speeds, when i rev up in 1 or 2 and then put in the clutch, i hear the same noise, but a lot faster. Also its recently become tough to get her in 2nd, she goes, but there is a lot more resistance now, and sometimes when trying to put it in reverse, the gears will grind even if the clutch is to the floor, it will usually go into reverse easily after I roll a little. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Im thinking it is maybe my throwout bearing or master cylinder because my clutch isnt slipping at all, ever. I haven't had a chance to check for a leak behind the firewall. any info/insight/thoughts are greatly appreciated as this is my daily driver and i really dont want it to fail. LOL. Thanks guys.
Also im a newb, i tried searching, but couldnt find nething - please be gentel

Your pressure plate may have some broken diaphragm fingers causing it to make contact with the throwout bearing on an intermittant basis.

Your best way to diagnose would be to take things apart. Theorizing can never beat it, as some people do aweful funny things to vehicles.

Back