• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NO OIL PRESSURE

Daddycajun117

NAXJA Forum User
Well let the beast sit for about 2 weeks. Was on vacation. Before this I noticed oil light would come on after the jeep warmed up, then when I pressed accelerator it would go out.

Went to start yesterday and heard valves tapping, and oil light stayed on. Bought a new oil pressure gauge and I am showing absolutly no oil pressure.

Think it might be the oil pump. Is it hard to change? Jeep had 193K on it would it be worth a rebuild , or just replace the oil pump...

I would doubt it is the oil pump with that many miles. Pull the pan, pull the con rod bearings and inspect. If they don't show any copper, use platigage to check clearence. If that checks out, maybe the pump, but now you have access to it and can take it apart to check it too!

Also plastigauge the rear main as well, because the oil pressure is dependant upon it haveing the correct clearance. Too much and no oil pressure. Then it is time for a re-build.

Plastigauge is used to measure bearing clearances. You lay a small green strip on the rod journal and torque down the rod cap. Remove the cap and measure how much you smashed the green strip with the provided clearance ruler. You could do the same thing with a micrometer but those are a little more expensive.

When did you last change the oil and filter?

What brand filter is it?

What oil are you running?

Might want to drop in a new filter, and new, heavier weight oil and see what the pressure gauge says. Minimum hot idle oil pressure is 13 psi.

If the oil pressure does not return (adequit pressure) then drop the oil pan, check the oil pump intake screen and pick up tube for a clogged, blocked screen, broken or seperated pick up tube, and then start plastigauging the bearings.

Once the oil pan is off, replace any bad bearings, replace the oil pump, pickup tube and screen, front and rear seals and pan gasket, says some prayers, add oil and retry it. Also be sure to look up and follow the oil pump priming procedure somewhere.

Back