• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got my first 4x4. 94 cherokee country. Have 2 problems. Need some help.

massscene

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just got my first 4x4. Its a 94 cherokee country. Its got high mileage 175k. However the engine and trans seem great.

There are 2 problems I am having though.

1-The day I picked it up the directions were working funny. At first they wouldnt blink. They would just go on solid. Then the next day that blinked but not at a steady pace, they blinked very erratic. Now, they dont work at all. Any ideas???? The hazards still work so I am thinking it is the switch. What do you think.

2-Since the day I picked it up there has been a banging noise that is very easy to duplicate.

first way-place transmission into drive directly from reverse or vise versa.

second way-when you come to a stop from a rolling speed of 20mph plus. it feels as if the car stops and then a second later you can feel and hear the bang. Its as if the car stops then the drive train stops.

are these common problems???? Anyone run into these??

thanks

For your first problem it sounds like a problem with the blinker circuit. The way the flasher element works is just like a circuit breaker. There is a metalic strip inside the flasher element that bends and breaks the circuit when it gets hot enough. If you have an intermitent short somewhere, it will flash at different speeds.

For your second problem....maybe a combination of engine/tranny mounts....

I used the search feature on here and found that a common reason for this problem is the flasher. It also told me where it is located and about how much it will cost me. I will try that tomarrow.

Now for that bangning noise.:helpme:

I am happy someone refered me to this site. It is proving to be more useful than pirate 4x4. I can even figure out how to use the search feature over there. Everyone is less than helpful too.

Back