• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Relocation Parts

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
Whichever parts you need (4cyl commanche maybe?) to relocate the alternator from down low to the new spot where the AC is. Im going to delete the AC and fan pulley and move the alternator up to where the AC once was. Anyone have one laying around for cheap, or at least know what parts i need??

5-90 said:
I believe the four-cylinder XJ/MJ bracket (either way) will do the job for you. Once I get some information, I plan to design an adapter bracket (if feasible) to mount the ND or the CS-130 in place of the A/C compressor.
Its just bolt right in correct? I was hesisitating on this earlier but now more belt is starting to crack a little so i figured to look into this more. Plus with the fan pulley gone, i can worry less about it taking a dive into my second electric fan...or radiator. How much would you guess one would cost at a junk yard?

BBeach said:
Its just bolt right in correct? I was hesisitating on this earlier but now more belt is starting to crack a little so i figured to look into this more. Plus with the fan pulley gone, i can worry less about it taking a dive into my second electric fan...or radiator. How much would you guess one would cost at a junk yard?
Ahhh...so it does get rid of the fan pulley. I have one laying around right now that I'm putting on my MJ. It cost me $10. I was wondering what was going to happen with the fan though. Now I'm going to have to figure out something to do with it. I guess like you said...dual electrics.

RenixPower said:
Ahhh...so it does get rid of the fan pulley. I have one laying around right now that I'm putting on my MJ. It cost me $10. I was wondering what was going to happen with the fan though. Now I'm going to have to figure out something to do with it. I guess like you said...dual electrics.

Pix and writeup, please! If NAXJA doesn't host it in the FAQ section (which seems to be on indefinite hold, and I'm partly to blame for that... Gotta get back to work on cooling and electrics!) I'll host it on WiP.

5-90 said:
Pix and writeup, please! If NAXJA doesn't host it in the FAQ section (which seems to be on indefinite hold, and I'm partly to blame for that... Gotta get back to work on cooling and electrics!) I'll host it on WiP.
Well I haven't done it yet...I just have it laying around. I can post pics of the uninstalled assembly though, and when I do it, I will certainly do a writeup. It seems like a slew of people have done it but no one has ever provided definite answers on what has to be done. I will try to be the pioneer.

RenixPower said:
Well I haven't done it yet...I just have it laying around. I can post pics of the uninstalled assembly though, and when I do it, I will certainly do a writeup. It seems like a slew of people have done it but no one has ever provided definite answers on what has to be done. I will try to be the pioneer.

Good - I'd figured on catching you before you did the job. Sure - if you can do pix of the parts, that will work as well.

Do you know how to code HTML? If not, write it up in Notepad, and I'll code it for you. Put placeholders in for where the pix will go {filename in braces like this will work} and we can bounce it back and forth until you find a version you like.

RenixPower said:
Yea all these people say they've done it but i haven't seen a writeup thats deffinate yet. Pics of the part would be nice, its the same bolts into the block right? It'll be nice for me to finally get a nice cleaning of the engine bay too. I'll keep my eye out, but from what im gathering its merely that bracket and a new belt?

BBeach said:
I'll keep my eye out, but from what im gathering its merely that bracket and a new belt?
Yeah it's actually just almost like a piece of flat steel that bolts to the block...and another piece of flat steel and a specialized area that holds the idler. I will try to post pictures when I get off school in about 6 hours here.

Here's what I got...and I believe it's the right parts.
AltBracket2.jpg

AltBracket.jpg

I wish I would've taken a picture of the 4cyl I pulled it off of but I didn't. I'm going to try to do some digging to find a 4cyl on eBay or something so I can get a picture. The 2 holes where it bolts to the block should be the same as a 4.0, but the other side support which is essentially just a flat piece of steel mounted to the 4cyl's A/C bracket I believe. So I think something has to be done with that.

I thought we were aimining to take the alternator mounting bracket off of a 4 cylinder and use it with our alternators on newer 6 cylinders (ive got a 98 if it helps). I dont think we need the idler because it would change the direction without the fan pulley and all.

Oooh shoot I didn't realize you had a 98. I believe this setup only works on Renix (1987-1990) since they used the same alternators as the older 4 cyls. I think you would have to have a 1991< 2.5L bracket then.

So my alternator will bolt right onto the pre91 4 cylinder mount? Im taking off the fan pulley at the same time as well, any other things i need?

BBeach said:
So my alternator will bolt right onto the pre91 4 cylinder mount? Im taking off the fan pulley at the same time as well, any other things i need?
No I think it has to be post 91 2.5L for it to work. The HO alternator is physically different than the older ones. IF you can find the bracket though, you shouldn't need anything else.

Where the heck did you find that bracket? Neither of the 2 MJ's with 2.5 power in my yard have this style bracket. They are using the old CJ 232/258 bracket that is curved, and bolts mostly to the timing cover. There is also a small upper support bracket. (86-87 models, both TBI)

ren said:
Where the heck did you find that bracket? Neither of the 2 MJ's with 2.5 power in my yard have this style bracket. They are using the old CJ 232/258 bracket that is curved, and bolts mostly to the timing cover. There is also a small upper support bracket. (86-87 models, both TBI)
It was on an 86 XJ with the Fueli 2.5. Apparently I scored with it because since I got it, people have told me it's rare. I think I'm gonna have the thing blasted and just sell it if it's that rare.

Back