• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 XJ trouble starting?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK, my son's '87 XJ has been hit or miss staring the last couple days.... literally.

It will start up like normal one time, then the next time he gets in to start it up it is totally dead. Does not turn over or make any sound at all. To get it to start his friend hit the starter lightly w/a wrench and then it fired up. Then it happened again and I hit the starter lightly w/a hammer and it fired up.

Is this the sign that his starter is toast/going dead or could it simply be a short or bad connection somewhere. Any help or checks for me to look over is appreciated.

Thanks

In short YES. It means the the brushes are about wore out and when you tap it it gets just enough contact to kick over.

sounds like you answered your own questions, Crank Position Sensor is also a common no start culprit

Thanks guys. I figured it was the starter... and we've got an A-zone a block down f/our house. Looks like that's the culprit. Shouldn't be to bad to change out.

Back