• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

700-R4 to 4l60E swap?

XJFETISH

NAXJA Forum User
Is this possible? I know that I might need a module to control the tranny. My tranny came out of a 91 GMC I know that the later 94 and up was a controled unit. Can I fab up a seperate wiring harness with a OEM module or will be better to use an aftermarket unit? Is it worth all of the trouble? Is it any stronger? I have a chance to get this and the 241 transfer case for free.

Aren't they essentially the same tranny? (minus the electronics I know)

Why not save yourself the headache and bolt the 241 to the 700r4?

Painless Wiring and several other companies make the required harness...and you can geta a stand alone TCM ....but expect sticker shock....on the other hand....I have been told that the two trannies are essentially the same internally....with the 4L60 having a few "upgrades" to improve strenght...I wonder if it would be possible to swap the valve body?? and maybe some other parts to "convert" the L60 to a R4....I'm guessing you will need to consult a qualified trans professional to answer that.....but it may be possible. and if so could same you some coin.

very doable, realively easy...... I just dont know the EXACT details. Please if your set on it look into prices but it for sure can be done. Its just not EXACTLY bolt i know that much. I have only swapped in rebuilt 4l60e's with the same.

About the 94 and after statement. Me and my bro both have astro and full size chevy Express vans with 4l60es for our repective business. Both of us have 1 1993 astro. I am 100 % POSITIVE, its a 1993, and 100% postive it had as original equipment a 4l60e (i replaced it so i should know)

Two recomendations is look into a trans go jr "shift kit" shift modifier ... not as harsh as a true shift kit or race kit. Also one of the weak points is the sun shell. Which just failed on a 2001 express van for my brother. His tranny guy said in 2002 or 2003 they changed it up with improved sun shell.

At any rate if this is a junkyard pull and your just swapping in as it is. Go for it. If your getting the 4l60e rebuild i just wanted to give ya some friendly advice.

Look into the painless kit price they can be quite pricey, depends on your goal and how much you have to spend and how much your time is worth. A rebuild on your 700R4 might be both the easiest and cheapest route.

with the exception of the pump,valve body,and a few other minor things,these are basically the same unit. The clutches,steels,planetaries,and pistons are all the same. I would stick with the 700,rebuild with a shift kit,new sunshell, and stronger 3-4 clutches.
I ran one behind a hot 396 for years with little problem. The 3-4 clutches and sunshell are the weak points in both units.

The one thing that will kill a R4 the quickest is to have an improperly set up/adjusted kickdown cable....and of course, you need a good trans cooler...

instead of swapping in a 4l60e, I would swap in a 4l65e. Beefed up from the factory, there is many aftermarket parts for it, but all you really need is a controller. with the controller you can adjust the shift points, firmness, tc lockup etc.

MudDawg said:
The one thing that will kill a R4 the quickest is to have an improperly set up/adjusted kickdown cable....and of course, you need a good trans cooler...

x2

I have been a GM tech for almost 20 yrs ( god im gettin old). All of the updated and stronger hard parts,seals,pistons,etc in the 4L60 or 65 will work in a 700. Fix what ya got IMHO

Last edited:
Back