• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My key wont turn, and other problem...

amart565

NAXJA Forum User
I couldn't turn my key, so i looked up the problem on here, and one of the suggestions was to disconnect the shift interlock cable. Did that, didn't help. I (stupidly) proceeded to pretty much destroy the cable. the key still does not turn. After reading some more, it seems that i may have to replace the lock cylinder, which is okay, but i can't find it on napa online or autozone online. I'm not sure how much it is going to cost, and im not 100% about the procedure. I need help. can I get a new lock cylidner to work with my current keys? Please help

EDIT 2001 jeep cherokee this problem is on

Last edited:
I have a thread going somewhere titled "Can you out diagnose the dealer" or something like that, check it out, I got some neutral safety switch reccomendations, see if the symptoms line up.

wrong key?

try turning the wheel a little bit mine does that if the steering wheel locks and there is side pressure on the tires just jiggle the steering wheel a little bit and turning the key.

I almost broke off the steering wheel trying to unlock the key, the problem, as it turns out, was the ignition lock cylinder. Oriely's had a 1998 jeep cherokee ignition lock cylinder for 25 dollars. It works fine, though i need to get the cylinder rekeyed for my transponder key. I got it all working, only broke the cruise control, steering wheel lock, and shift interlock cable in the process. sweet.

Well now the the wheel lock is broken you don't need the key when you flat tow it. L.M.A.O.

Sorry you had to break so much shit to get it fixed, but yeah, ignition cylinders can be a bitch. Had a VW that had the cylinder go bad, but it would only lock up ever so often, like when I was thirty miles away from home at midnight. Slight PITA to fix, and mine set me back $110 at a salvage yard!

Back