• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Expert Needed for 92 XJ r134 Conversion

eddieeddieg

NAXJA Forum User
The AC did not work when I bought the vehicle.
And now is a good time to convert from r12 to r134

I have replaced the expansion valve and dryer.
But what is the part just off the output side of the dryer.
I has two valves in it and the integral o-ring from one valve is shot.
What is they're purpose and are these servicable items?
I don't want to waste a $30 freon charge...
Thanks
Eddie
Pictured is the only removable valve - the other valve cannot be separated from the fitting.
Project38.jpg

Does part of it look like a sinter bronze filter element? I can't tell from the fussy picture.

There isn't any screen. Just two restrictors that are wide open when installed.
I think it may not be factory installed - but some type of cludge.
Although the hose and dryer will need an adapter to be connected.

Anyone able to double check the connection on their
working '92 AC system?
Eddie

eddieeddieg said:
There isn't any screen. Just two restrictors that are wide open when installed.
I think it may not be factory installed - but some type of cludge.
Although the hose and dryer will need an adapter to be connected.

Anyone able to double check the connection on their
working '92 AC system?
Eddie
What is a "cludge"?

Not a screen, but a pressed sintered bronse porus stone is what I was asking, as my 85 has one right after the condersor, filter dryer. It is a weird part that the local AC shop (40 year old shop, guys been doing a/c for 30 years or more) guys did not recognize here either. Luckily I was able to clean and reuse mine. It seemed to be there to protect the expansion valve from particles that might clog the expansion valve.

The best place for your A/C expert question might be at:

http://www.autoacforum.com

If you figure it out from them, let us know what it was???

Last edited:
Ecomike:
Appreciate the response. Meant to say:
KLUDGE:A clumsy or inelegant solution to a problem

I will keep you posted on the findings.

eddieeddieg said:
Ecomike:
Appreciate the response. Meant to say:
KLUDGE:A clumsy or inelegant solution to a problem

I will keep you posted on the findings.

Kludge, still never hear of it, before now. Perhaps it is because I always focused on coming up with ELEGANT solutions to problems, LOL.;)

I'm pretty sure the system uses an Expansion Valve, NOT an orifice. Look on the firewall, if there is an Expansion Valve, a.k.a. "H" Valve, that looks like a big aluminum block the the lines for the evaporator in/out run thru, then its an Expansion Valve. Almost all Chrysler, and most cars use the Expansion Valve over the Orifice.

Looks to me that it might be a Schrader valve, maybe one of the pressure switches or sensors mounted on it OR maybe its in the system to allow the line to disconnect without losing the charge.

My '91 Caravan had Schrader valves on most of the AC Pressure Switches/Sensor, so if one was bad you could replace it without loosing the whole AC Charge.

Hate to say it, but have you done any research into how well your year XJ converts to R-134a. R-134a has different properties that require a much large condenser fro the same amount of cooling as R-12. Some vehicles have bigger condenser then they need, other just have barely enough condenser for their R-12 system, so some systems work well converted, others work poorly to barely at all. Not to mention some seals are incompatible, as well as the oils, which require getting all the old oil out and replacing any incompatible seals. As well, hoses have to be compatible with R-134a, that seems to be the least problem, since almost all the R-12 hoses made 10 years before the switch were built quality enough to handle the R-134a. You may have thought all this thru and the system will work great, if not, I'm just pointing a few items you need to take into account if want the conversion to work well.

Last edited:
I am having it done now on my '92. Should have it back tomorrow. It had a leak (rust) on one of the hard hoses up front, plus some other problems. I am getting all new parts back to the firewall. He had to fab a couple hoses as they apparently are made of unobtanium. In other words, everything is being replaced except the part that probably needs it most (and is the hardest to get to behind the dash). I'll post results on how well it works with the original evaporator andR134a.

R-134a doesn't need as big of an evaporator as R-12, so the original should work just fine, as long as its not damaged some how.

R-134a needs a bigger condenser than R-12, I don't know what the condensers on the R-12 XJ's were like. Hopefully is larger than really needed, if so, then the R-134a should work fine.

The parts guy at dealership told me those were check valve and a 'design flaw'. He told me to just remove them. I did and my system works great.

those little valves cost me alot of money 2 summers ago. took my daughters 92 to the shop and he pulled vacuum and said all was well. then when he charged it....blew the compressor seal....this led to buying new compressor, dryer, expansion valve and 3 attempts to charge @100.00 for each attempt. In the mean time he evacuated my 93 system to 'top off' my r12 but could not recharge it..another 100.00. advised that my expansion valve was clogged....broke the evaporator removing the expansion valve....had to replace evaporator, expansion valve and drier on my 93. then attempt to recharge...another lost 100.00. Then I talked to the jeep parts guy and removed those valves in both vehicles. Shop pulled vacuum and charged for another 100.00 ea. All toll it was about 1300.00 to 're-charge' the a/c on 2 jeeps with freeze 12. That was with me doing all of the work except the evacuation and charging.

I guess those valves get sticky over time and allow you to pull vacuum but when you push the charge they shut?

I think the guy overcharged me....he should have known about those valves...he is the 'ASE' certified mechanic and proprietor of the shop. He whined he broke a set of guages trying to charge my system.
I got raked over the coals on that one...but I steer everyone I can away from the shop.

ChipsXJ said:
The parts guy at dealership told me those were check valve and a 'design flaw'. He told me to just remove them. I did and my system works great.

those little valves cost me alot of money 2 summers ago. took my daughters 92 to the shop and he pulled vacuum and said all was well. then when he charged it....blew the compressor seal....this led to buying new compressor, dryer, expansion valve and 3 attempts to charge @100.00 for each attempt. In the mean time he evacuated my 93 system to 'top off' my r12 but could not recharge it..another 100.00. advised that my expansion valve was clogged....broke the evaporator removing the expansion valve....had to replace evaporator, expansion valve and drier on my 93. then attempt to recharge...another lost 100.00. Then I talked to the jeep parts guy and removed those valves in both vehicles. Shop pulled vacuum and charged for another 100.00 ea. All toll it was about 1300.00 to 're-charge' the a/c on 2 jeeps with freeze 12. That was with me doing all of the work except the evacuation and charging.

I guess those valves get sticky over time and allow you to pull vacuum but when you push the charge they shut?

I think the guy overcharged me....he should have known about those valves...he is the 'ASE' certified mechanic and proprietor of the shop. He whined he broke a set of guages trying to charge my system.
I got raked over the coals on that one...but I steer everyone I can away from the shop.
The almost exact same thing happened to me. So much pressure built up because I didn't have those friggin valves installed correct that it more or less ruined my whole compressor. If someone else hadn't already told him I was going to say to remove them. They're no good I tell ya.

Back