• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure

greyghost05 said:
just bought an 88 xj with a 93 4.0,has 50 psi at start up,then droppes to 15-25 psi after being ran hard.is this normal?

That is typical, and OK for the older jeeps. What oil type, spec, viscosity are you using. If you have a Fram oil filter replace it asap with a K& N or Mobil 1 filter. A dirty, or defective oil filter can cause a pressure drop, but in your case the cold pressure says your OK for now.

I run some thicker oil and oil additives in mine and I have gotten my hot idle pressure up to a minimum of 22 psi. Jeep says 13 psi is the minimum but I do not trust the oil pressure sensor and gauge to be calibrated well enough to risk pressure readings that low. I generaly use 20W50, or straight 40 wt plus a quart of Lucas oil additive in the summer, dyno oil, not synthetic in my 87.

When offing. You tend to run at low rpm and high engine loads more then most DD. So (IMO) offers should do better with a few more PSI of oil presser then what the factory spec call for. The same holds true for heavy towers as well. As always no need to go nuts to.
If you don't off or tow I would think your fine. Else steps should be taken to increase the PSI.

Back