• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom DIY poison spyder customs full heim steering

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
so i had pretty bad death wobble a while back and i decided i was getting a whole new steering system. so i went with a do it your self full heim steering from poison spyder customs. this is what i ordered:
2-right hand thread 3/4" shank, 5/8" bore heim joints
2-left hand thread heims
2-right hand thread 3/4" jam nuts
2-left hand thread jam nuts
5 feet of 1.5" DOM .250wall tube
3 feet of tube
2-3/4" tube adapters right hand thread
2-left thread adapters
3-1/4", 5/8"bore misalignment washers
1-5/8", 5/8"bore misalignment washer

measure how long you want the drag link and tie rod tubing then cut it. then weld in the adapters then screw in the heims and jam nuts then drill out your knuckles and pitman arm to 5/8". put a 5/8" bolt through the two heims on the pass. side knuckle and pitman arm and other knuckle.

xjsteering.jpg

no bump steer at all. the heims make the steering have a little more play in it but othe than that it is exteemly solid. i should have no problem with this system turnin 33's on the trail. i mounted my drag link on top of my pitman arm to make the drag link more parallel to the track bar. havent gone wheelin yet nut im supposed to go tomorrow or sunday and test it out. it is very beefy and i love it so far on the road
-Shomsky

It looks like the drag link is bolted to the top of your pitman arm. Shouldnt it be on the bottom? Or maybe its just he pic but looks to be on the top. With your tires turned full lock and at droop it would contact the pitman arm.

sjd78 said:
Just curious but why didnt you run it over the knuckle?

i didnt run over the knuckle for various reasons:
it puts the bolt on the pass. side knuckle in single sheer.(basically the drag link pushes and pulls that bolt back and forth and having it higher up it gives it more leverage.
also clearance issues with the tie rod and drag link contacting eachother when fully flexed on the pass. side

the drag link is on top of the pitman arm, yes. however at full lock left it does not contact the pitman arm but it does come close.

the setup ran me about $270 shipped to my door. not bad for a steering system that is stronger than any other system you can buy for the price.
-Shomsky

Shomsky462 said:
the drag link is on top of the pitman arm, yes. however at full lock left it does not contact the pitman arm but it does come close.

what about at full lock with the suspension drooped?

not knockin your setup at all, i love it. i am just wondering why you bolted it on top of the pitman.

i have "1-ton" JCR steering and my drag link is below the pitman.

-Tim

DSC00385.jpg

in this pic you can kinda see the drag link and tie rod are about an inch from eachother and are pretty close to parallel. so if the drag link was on the bottom of the pitman arm and it was otk id run into some problems but with the way it is now i have no problems with bump steer or clearance. im as flexed out as my shocks will let me be right now. but when my shocks are disconnected it will flex to the point my coils start coming out of the towers...
-Shomsky

Damn can't beat that price. I just went to the stealership for a rhd draglink to do GoJeep's otk steering, $185 just for the drag link. To top it off the guy behind the counter had to ask me what I was talking about. He said they call that the tie rod.

jeepnuts311 said:
what about at full lock with the suspension drooped?

not knockin your setup at all, i love it. i am just wondering why you bolted it on top of the pitman.

i have "1-ton" JCR steering and my drag link is below the pitman.

-Tim

no it clears even in this pic right here where im almost flexed out. the only thing that doesnt clear is the track bar bolt on the axle mount scapes the tie rod link when turning full lock right. other than that everything clears at full flex on both sides. i did have to cut off my pass. side sway bar axle side mount so the drag link wouldnt hit it.

wondering if you are still running this steering setup and can provide some more feedback. also do you have more pics and details on the track bar? looks like a great setup!

cheers,

Shomsky462 said:
i didnt run over the knuckle for various reasons:
it puts the bolt on the pass. side knuckle in single sheer.

-Shomsky

The bolt that passes through your passenger side knuckle is still in single shear, in two places.

You need a tab on top of the drag link heim, and another below the tie rod heim attached to the knuckle to eliminate single shear in your setup.

Also, I would not run heims in single shear unless you run safety washers.

HTH

I'm still trying to figure out why folks think it's cool to flip off the camera........

Back