• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is better than RE???

EvanH

NAXJA Forum User
I have been reading posts on NAXJA and JF.com for months now. Whenever I read posts about people comparing RE to other lifts and the MASS majority of the people always preach of how great RE is.

My question is... are there any lifts that are better than RE? The only other one that I hear a lot of good things about are the OME kits.

They have quality springs, joints, fab parts, and hard comonents. I think that's what makes them top notch. I'm also a fan of JKS and what they have done.
RE's springs and TNTcustoms stuff makes for a very stout wheeler.

It's a pretty close match from RE to TNT.

OCMI_Teddy said:
It's a pretty close match from RE to TNT.
what are you talking about? you can't put them in the same league. TNT is fabrication suspension parts/armour. They use RE's springs and Joints and parts in their kits.....

BlackHole XJ said:
Check out Clayton. I have heard nothing but good comments about this lift. It is more expensive than RE but they have a you break it we replace it policy.

X2 on the claytons. Actually it really depends on what you are looking for tho. Long arms? Short arms? Parts?

Long arms I would say Claytons all the way. TNT has problems with the X member bending and the trany and transfercase are very difficult to get to (as in removal). It does however have a high aproach for the arms but thats all i can see in the + side comparing to claytons.

If going short arms I would say RE. I went RC being cheap and all and have really been pleased. Now since have swapped the TB out to a 1660 and HD bracket. Arms will be getting swapped out for RE adjustables, and rear AAL will be swapped out with a set or RE full leafs, when I get up and go out to the shop and do it.

Better than RE?

I vastly prefer just about any other spring on the market to theirs. Rusty's above all and I've been through quite a few.

Other than that, even though I don't (and haven't) run any of it, their hard parts are good quality, except the silver paint looks like ass once it starts to rust.

BlackHole XJ said:
Check out Clayton. I have heard nothing but good comments about this lift. It is more expensive than RE but they have a you break it we replace it policy.

Im pretty sure clayton's kits are made w/ RE springs as well..

vetteboy said:
Better than RE?

I vastly prefer just about any other spring on the market to theirs. Rusty's above all and I've been through quite a few.

Other than that, even though I don't (and haven't) run any of it, their hard parts are good quality, except the silver paint looks like ass once it starts to rust.

You can't even put Rusty's stuff in the same league as RE, come on now...

uncc civilengineer said:
You can't even put Rusty's stuff in the same league as RE, come on now...

Note that I said "springs", specifically. RE's are too soft for every situation I've experienced. And if I were running any bolt-on stuff I would pick the Rusty's long arm setup over RE's by a good amount.

(and if you're going to argue that someone once called up the companies and got spring rates and RE is actually stiffer, I would suggest grabbing a measuring tape next time you've got both springs next to each other, and you might be surprised at the findings)

I do have the Rusty's HD trackbar *bracket* right now though, hooked up to my front 60. No problems there.

Dirk at DPG was working on a kit that used the best of RE and the best of stuff that was better than RE. Like JKS controll arms and better rear springs and RE brackets but he can put together what is best for your application.

vetteboy said:
Note that I said "springs", specifically. RE's are too soft for every situation I've experienced. And if I were running any bolt-on stuff I would pick the Rusty's long arm setup over RE's by a good amount.

(and if you're going to argue that someone once called up the companies and got spring rates and RE is actually stiffer, I would suggest grabbing a measuring tape next time you've got both springs next to each other, and you might be surprised at the findings)

I do have the Rusty's HD trackbar *bracket* right now though, hooked up to my front 60. No problems there.

I agree with ya! Im running Rustys springs and love them. I also have there trac bar and has worked flawless! I hated the RE springs I had in my last XJ.

Well I have a 3.5" RE SF. I bought it when I first got my Jeep after I checked the forums a bit. I was gonna go RC, but I searched around a bit more and found the RE on JO.com. I just wanted to know what else was out there that compared to RE or was better.

vetteboy said:
Better than RE?

I agree, and from what I've read RE does too!!! They evidently have switched to the same spring manufacturer as Rusty's because they had problems with their springs being too soft, and eventually sagging. If only I could remember the thread this was in...

I would believe it though, I recently got done putting a 5.5" LA kit on a TJ, and the RE springs looked just like the Rusty's springs I run, except they were silver (They had tighter windings than previous RE springs I've installed).

This is a funy thread. Rubicon Express has been around for a pretty long time. If most people don't have a RE lift kit they probably have another part from RE. RE is one of the most prolific 4x4 parts manufacturers and they got started early with quality products and when some parts didn't meet the customers needs they changed them. I have nothing but good things to say about RE. However, I have had great luck with Rusty's. JKS is also top notch stuff, very well engineered along with OME. I do think RE joints and springs are just such great products for someone building their own lifts, that is why TNT and others use their products in their own lift kits. .

uncc civilengineer said:
Im pretty sure clayton's kits are made w/ RE springs as well..
I think they use Rock Krawler springs, but either way they aren't making their own.

IMO -

Hard parts: TNT, JKS, RE in that order
Springs and joints: RE

DPG Offroad is also offering their new springs. I think those may become decent contenders in the future.

Like has been said above. It totally depends on what you are looking for. Most of us have mixed and matched parts from several manufacturers or modified parts from manufacturers to get exactly what we want.

If you are looking for an "off the shelf" lift kit of a specific height then RE is up near the top. But I think that OME, Rusty's, and others also make very decent products and should be considered.

It really all depends on what you want, how you are going to use it, what performance you want from it, etc, etc.

one thing that I have never been impressed with about RE is their customer service or tech info. It has been quite some time ago now, but their "tech" guy didn't have a clue what spring rate even ment last time I talked to them. If you deal with their distributors you will probably get much better info!!

Michael

Starscream said:
I think they use Rock Krawler springs, but either way they aren't making their own.

IMO -

Hard parts: TNT, JKS, RE in that order
Springs and joints: RE

DPG Offroad is also offering their new springs. I think those may become decent contenders in the future.

Yep, the Clayton kits use Rock Krawler springs.

Back