• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP: Oil Filter Adapter Question

Rock.Wgn

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Folks, Happy Friday...
1995 4.0 Auto
I am going to change the three O-rings in the oil filter adapter, I have looked through the FSM to no avail, I can not find out how to take the unit apart. Please help...I will start on my first beer while waiting for one of you fine folks can help.
THANKS GREATLY

not sure if you have the torx head at the end. you just unscrew the bolt. it takes a lot of finesse and a lot of cursing as there is no clearance. pull that out and take off the o-rings and replace em. its not easy.

XgeekstarX said:
my 92 has a 5/8" hex bolt. bust the bolt, replace the 3 o rings, put it back on and tighten it up. took me all of 10 minutes.

BURP, First beer down, cracking the second. I will check if it is a Torx or HEX. Keepum coming. swallow, swallow...

87manche said:
don't forget to lube the o rings with some motor oil, otherwise they roll when you put it all backtogether and don't seal right.

Oil is good for that - chassis grease is better (stays put better, and helps to hold the o-rings in.) Smear some in the groove, insert O-ring, then smear some more overtop of the O-ring.

The FSM gives a torque for that screw of 75 pound-feet - but I find that excessive. I think I've usually torqued them to about 30 pound-feet - the screw is, after all, hollow.

You are likely to have one of three heads...
5/8" raised hex (found on earlier models)
5/8" recessed hex (I think this was the middle version - about what you're going to find, I think)
T-60 Torx recess (this one is a HUGE pain, according to reports from the field.)

Good luck!

Sh*T,
Mine has the TORX head, and I have a hex tool kit, Time for a beer, crack, swallow, swallow. Time to drive to Home Depot for a Torx Kit, SH*T again I have no OIL in my XJ, time to walk to HD, need to grab a beer for the road...One for each way I guess... Hope I can make it thta farr, I'm startg to slurr mi wordds...

Rock.Wgn said:
Sh*T,
Mine has the TORX head, and I have a hex tool kit, Time for a beer, crack, swallow, swallow. Time to drive to Home Depot for a Torx Kit, SH*T again I have no OIL in my XJ, time to walk to HD, need to grab a beer for the road...One for each way I guess... Hope I can make it thta farr, I'm startg to slurr mi wordds...

Go to loews, they have a better torx socket set than home depot or go to a True Value, look for 'powerbuilt' brand it will have 6 socket in the holder, T40, T45, T50, T55 and T60. SKU #648677

I just finished replacing mine about 3 hours ago. I have the T-60 torx bolt. Be ready to pull though, I used a torx bit with a boxed-end wrench like Gojeep says on his site, but I had to put a high-lift jack handle on the end to break mine free. Good luck!

XJ858 said:
I just finished replacing mine about 3 hours ago. I have the T-60 torx bolt. Be ready to pull though, I used a torx bit with a boxed-end wrench like Gojeep says on his site, but I had to put a high-lift jack handle on the end to break mine free. Good luck!

yours must have been torqued to the 75 lb/ft... don't bother going that high next time...if ever

Thak guys, made it hom. 4got wht i was wrking on. Need anothr beer. time 4 bed. yahn......................................................

PS: Thanks very much for your imput...

5-90 said:
T-60 Torx recess (this one is a HUGE pain, according to reports from the field.)

Indeed it is, as a T60 torx bit ALONE takes up all the room you have to work with in that spot, which means you can get the ratchet in, which means you have to get creative on how you do it. What should be no more than a 30 minute job, turns out to be a couple HOUR job. In my case, I ended up losening the engine mounts and hoisting the engine up just enough to get some more room.

Looking at doing one on a 98 ZJ 4.0 in the very near future, and it looks as if i'll have more room to play, so I might be able to get the damn ratchet in at the same time!

Being a relatively new Jeep wrencher I am grateful that I didn't find all these horror stories about the adapter. I did find a nice write up on installing engine mounts which talked about taking the bolt loose and cocking the adapter 90° to remove the mount's passenger side bolt. I assumed my hex bolt ('92 Limited) was metric and threw a racheting box end 16 mm wrench on it and thought that it was a little tight. I put my boot to the wrench and broke it loose. I don't know how anyone could apply the torque that the FSM recommends unless it is on an engine stand. I wish I had replaced the o-rings then. I am a firm believer in combining repairs or modifications.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the replys. I cleaned off the oil filter adapter yesterday with some degreaser. I drove around today for a while and then parked, small pool of oil under the XJ. Guess what, it was not leaking from the oil filter adapter O-rings, it was leaking from the oil pressure sending unit located just above the adapter. The oil was coming out the back of the electrical connection. Well I bought a new sender $48.00 ouch. But no more leaky...

Thanks for bringing us up to date. So many threads that I have read through doing searches kinda leaves the final outcome unanswered.

Rock.Wgn said:
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the replys. I cleaned off the oil filter adapter yesterday with some degreaser. I drove around today for a while and then parked, small pool of oil under the XJ. Guess what, it was not leaking from the oil filter adapter O-rings, it was leaking from the oil pressure sending unit located just above the adapter. The oil was coming out the back of the electrical connection. Well I bought a new sender $48.00 ouch. But no more leaky...
Make sure you disconnect that sender every time you change your oil filter! It's easy to crack the sender by dropping a filter on it or trying to pull mongo-hands with a filter past it... (http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/oilsend.html)

Another oil filter adapter with info about changing to a larger filter - http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html

Jim

Ok, so IF by chance you have the dreaded T-60 bolt, and IF you've gone to the store and purchased a T-60 bit/socket (usually 1/2" drive) and found that the bit/socket by itself takes up all the room you've got, try this... take your new bit/socket and mount it in a vise so that you can punch the bit out of the socket from the drive side. Once it's out you can shorten the bit by cutting the part that fits in the socket, and re-install the bit back into the socket. You may find sufficient clearance to use a breaker bar on it once shortened. Just remember to leave sufficient length for the Torx end teeth to do their job.

Back