• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proportioning valve spring modification

Stumpalump

NAXJA Forum User
No need to swap proportioning valves after a rear disk break install. Just cut a wrap off and a half off of the valve spring and it works great. The more you cut the more rear breaks you will have. After talking with Van at Vanco he sugested using a weaker spring and when I sugested cutting the existing spring he said good idea,try it. I did and it worked great. Basically the spring got cut even with the valve body. I'd like to try and cut more to experiment but would like to have another spring to go back to when I finaly cut too much. If you have a stock spring you don't need PM me, I could use it to find out how much is too much and post the results.

Hate to sound stupid but where is this spring located in the P valve?

Glen

DaJudge said:
Hate to sound stupid but where is this spring located in the P valve?

Glen

Directly behind the cap on PV towards front of vehicle.

Stumpalump, so the one end of the spring is no longer flush? Which end did you face towards the valvebody? I see it wanting to shift the valvebody sideways and making it difficult to get VB aligned to cap. That shifting may wear the oring on one side as well?

John B said:
Directly behind the cap on PV towards front of vehicle.

Stumpalump, so the one end of the spring is no longer flush? Which end did you face towards the valvebody? I see it wanting to shift the valvebody sideways and making it difficult to get VB aligned to cap. That shifting may wear the oring on one side as well?
Definatly put the uncut end of the spring towards the valve so it will be supported evenly. You will actually have a much easier time installing the cap because you don't have to push the spring in nearly as hard to get the cap to thread.
If you gutted the oring out of the valve you need to install it with the small end going in first like a bullet. It's stought rubber and your old one could be OK.

Last edited:
Back