• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternater Pulley

MauriceGOL

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Any tips or tricks for putting on a new alternater pulley? Mine came off today while driving home, not sure how really. But the thread look ok and everything appears to remain in working order, it all spins at least. Thanks for the help
Greg

Honestly, once it fell off on its own, I'd never trust it again. Those pulleys are usually pressed on pretty tight, and if it came loose, something's wrong.

Unless you're on a REALLY tight budget, I'd take it in for the core, and get yourself a reman with the new pulley already on it...

two cents,

Robert

The pulley comes off by hand once you remove the nut. If the nut failed (had been removed several times before maybe during rebuild, etc) then it needs to be replaced or loc-tited on or stake it.

MauriceGOL said:
Any tips or tricks for putting on a new alternater pulley? Mine came off today while driving home, not sure how really. But the thread look ok and everything appears to remain in working order, it all spins at least. Thanks for the help
Greg

Year?

Up until 1990, they used a Delco alternator. The pully on those is retained on a threaded shaft with a large nut - the pully does not have an internal thread. I usually use LocTite 242 when I have to R&R the pully on these.

From 1991, Chrysler used a Nippondenso alternator - and I think that pully is pressed on. If it's a press-fit, don't trust it. Just replace the thing outright...

It;s an 88. The pully got chunked a litte bit while dancing around the engine bay so I am gonna need another one so it doesn;t shred my belt. But right on about the big nut. And I was gonna grab some locktite to put the nut back on. Thanks for the help guys.
Any tips on a good way to snake the pully and nut down past the fan?
Greg

MauriceGOL said:
It;s an 88. The pully got chunked a litte bit while dancing around the engine bay so I am gonna need another one so it doesn;t shred my belt. But right on about the big nut. And I was gonna grab some locktite to put the nut back on. Thanks for the help guys.
Any tips on a good way to snake the pully and nut down past the fan?
Greg

You need a largish hex key (3/8"?) to hold the shaft while you turn the nut with a wrench - so you may end up removing the alternator to give yourself some room if you haven't done this before. Make sure you haven't lost the front cooling fan as well.

LocTite #242 should be sufficient for you - it always has for me.

You should be fine to reattach it from underneath the XJ.
I've never heard of one just falling off though, must not have been put on tightly by the previous reparman. All XJ pullys (AFAIK, at least 87-96) are held on the shaft by a nut, an impact will take the nut right off.

Back