• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pressure treated wood TB Spacer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heat, pressure, and wood warps. And is porous. How do you plan to ensure a good seal, and what are you going to do to ensure the mill faces don't warp?

A good high-temperature plastic (like Bakelite or alkyd) would be better than wood. Or aluminum. Hell, pot zinc would be a better choice, y'ask me...

Could use phenolic. It's easier to work with than metal, can use most any woodworking/metal tools to shape/cut it. Plus it has the added benefit of acting as insulator, which granted isn't much of a bonus unless it's a carbed motor. I can send you a chunk if you want.

AJsArmor said:
Could use phenolic. It's easier to work with than metal, can use most any woodworking/metal tools to shape/cut it. Plus it has the added benefit of acting as insulator, which granted isn't much of a bonus unless it's a carbed motor. I can send you a chunk if you want.

I thought I'd said something like that? Granted, I did forget about phenolic...

Hell, I'd use fibreglas over wood, and the layup for something like that would be a pain in the arse...

I too have heard of these wooden throttle spacers but cannot equip/ or see myself widdling one out of a stump after an engine firehasta

I've gone with and without the spacer. Judging from the SOTP gain, you can do without putting wood in there. When you can affod to buy something....less combustible, go ahead.

i made one out of some kind of plastic brother got the stuff from the sign place he worked at it was 1" thick you could beat the shit out of it with a bfh and it didnt budge i think its pvc but i could be wrong

JeepZJlover said:
i made one out of some kind of plastic brother got the stuff from the sign place he worked at it was 1" thick you could beat the shit out of it with a bfh and it didnt budge i think its pvc but i could be wrong

Probably UHMW. White, and very dense? Felt like a thick plastic cutting board?

Made one for a chevy 350 worked realy well. Used Oak and placed some exhaust pipe inside, we were afaid the gas would eat the wood being throtle body injected. Couldn't tell you how long it will last since the truck was totaled about 2 years after it was instaled. Never had any vacume problems or leaks. It did insulate the throtle body form the intake.

I made a phenolic spacer for the Mustang I had. It worked awesome, but I discovered that phenolic is a major inhalation hazard when you grind or shape it creating dust. I would recommend having a shop vac hose right on the piece as you shape it.

if you must have a throttle body spacer (i dont see a need, much less much benefit unless you have other mods like intake, and COMPLETE new exhaust as in quality performance header, new cat, larger pipes, performance muffler otherwise dont bother). If you have said mods, you may notice some difference. But if you have the cash for all those new parts .... what did you do that took the last $50 that you cant afford a proper aluminum spacer ?

At the very least use plastic.

Only wood on vehicles should be pickup truck bed strips, proper woodie siding, shifter handles, and dash boards. Or you own a morgan and you can have an ash frame.

No wood parts !!!!!!

good thing your thinking of pressure treated wood, because using regular wood would suck.

How about this. Make one of wood and if you can notice a difference promise youll buy a reall one. or make one of steel or aluminum, or plastic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back