• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's more important at Tellico?

RedHeep

NAXJA #1499
Currently on 4.5" with 33's, 8.8 in the back with LSD.

If you could only buy one for your tellico trip, would it be a front locker (lunchbox variety) or a winch?

Which would you rather somebody in your trail group show up with and how would it affect what trails they could run?

I'd get a locker.. someone is gonna have a winch... but, honestly they would get tired of it if they had to winch you all day long...

With that said, our group went to tellico w/o a winch and ran peckerwood, guardrail, helicopter pad, etc. - all on 33's locked ft/rr...

never winched...

Then my last time up I ran Slickrock (winched the ledge at the top) and ran Lower 2 (winch about 5 ft. b/c of hi-centered)...

locker for sure...I think...spare axle shafts too... :) just in case... my wife has a spare for each side in her tool box...been there for a couple years but you never know

Is there a significant amount of wheeling available for unlocked Jeeps?

I don't want to make the drive and be forced on the same trail over and over again.

I also can't decide whether to lock the front considering I wheel 6 times a year and drive everyday to work.

I vote winch, simply becuase a front locker would impair your full time option, and you won't have to worry so much about front axle shafts. If you get stuck, just pull cable.

A decent winch will cost close to what a selectable will cost. I would not get anything but a warn. The cheapest I have seen is the M8000. That is what I have.

Ghost said:
A decent winch will cost close to what a selectable will cost. I would not get anything but a warn. The cheapest I have seen is the M8000. That is what I have.

But I think a winch can get me out of more situations I might get myself into at this point.

I don't wheel a ton (time and location) so it's probably my best bet for the money. Locking the front does pose problems for my 242 and still won't get me unstuck from most situations, just get me into them.

I know Warn has a great reputation, but I think I'm going T-Max. Summit has the 9K version for $450.

I use my winch for more than wheeling.. probably used it more around the house than on the trail...so it's a good investment either way

I run a front Aussie wit ha 242 no issues, of course I never put it in "fulltime", never need to.

Back