• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrading to a wj brakes

mvickstrom

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone here put a brake booster and master cylinder in from a later model wj? My 94 cherokee's brakes are really bad and i have already replaced pads, rotors and bled the brakes. Any ideas on where to get the booster and master cylinder cheap? Also are the fittings for the brake lines the same? Thanks

Mark

mvickstrom said:
has anyone here put a brake booster and master cylinder in from a later model wj? My 94 cherokee's brakes are really bad and i have already replaced pads, rotors and bled the brakes. Any ideas on where to get the booster and master cylinder cheap? Also are the fittings for the brake lines the same? Thanks

Mark

Junk yard would be the first place I'd look. I use a booster and M/C from a 2000 WJ in my 89 XJ. Really didnt notice any great improvement. But I've been running WJ knuckles and brakes. The brake lines to the proportioning valve are different, and the fitting from the M/C to the brake pedal are different and require some thought. Requiered rewiring of my brake lights switch on the pedal. Hope it helps.

I've put WJ master/boosters into 7 XJ's now, and the difference is night and day. The fittings are different, but its not hard to make your own lines if you have a flare tool.

I get the master/boosters for under $50 shipped at www.car-part.com.

If you have a 94 you might have the better master/booster already. I got mine from a 94 XJ in my friends yard for free and he had one of his guys take it off.

IIRC '95 was the break point between the single and dual booster. Maybe a '94 built late in the model year could have the dual booster as well.

My '94 has the old style single that I'm swapping out this weekend.

AutoZone rents double-flare tools & brake line benders for free too, so you don't have to have the tools.

xj92 said:
AutoZone rents double-flare tools & brake line benders for free too, so you don't have to have the tools.

the WJ booster upgrade requires a bubble flare tool, which autozone doesnt seem to have. You can get one for like $40 on ebay, but you can get them cheaper if you shop around.

Back