• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Chief Decals

RD84

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 1984 Jeep Cherokee Chief 2dr (one of the 1st XJ out of the factory) I got it brand new and kept it until the Mid 90s when I got married and sold it to pay bills. I always regretted selling it. I finally tracked it down and bought it back for $600. I am completing restoring it to its original condition. Currently I am rebuilding the motor and trans. I have my game plan down for the restoration, but I am stumped where to get the Cherokee Chief decals. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks.

holy shit, an oem restore.... on a jeep?

guess these things are starting to approach 'classic' status....

i never understood oem restores.....
but i wanna see it when its done

Ok i saw a bone stock, gold with black stickers, Chief today and see no problem why you cannot go and have them made. Just take a pic of the stickers, go to sticker shop and have them made. The ones around the windows would be kinda hard to fabricate but are you sure you want those too?? The stickers on the sides are actually cut outs of stickers that follow the lower rocker on the sides. Wish i had my cam today to snap a pic for ya. Was actually pretty clean (for an 88 with no love) and it was gold with black decals.... LOL

Looks a lot like mine:

IMG_0053-2.jpg

Is that rusty wheel safe? Are you keeping the OEM wheels? I have some wheels like that (two eight spoke, two ten spoke) if you watned to pay for shipping you could have grabs.

Yeah, it is really just light surface rust on the wheel. I plan to sandblast, prime and paint it. I have a full size spare to match in better condition. Thanks for the offer though. You do not see many of these around like mine or yours. I think they are classics. 1984 was the first year of the XJs and they only got better. Wish they still made them. You've got got a great engine. Mine is a carbed 4 banger, but runs like a sewing machine. I think 88 or 89 was the last year of the Chief. Don't ever sell it, restore it. If you want to sell it put in on a truck and ship it to me. It would be neat to have two.

I have a chief too, I love it, white and black everything.... does anyone know any differences between the chiefs and other cherokees? is it just the style of trim?

RD84 said:
I think 88 or 89 was the last year of the Chief. Don't ever sell it, restore it.

1988 was the last year of the Chief. So you have the first year and I have the last :D

I do not intend to sell it nor modify it too much. Plans are as follows:

Late model Grizzley wheels (I love them!), already on.
30" tires because I got a killer deal on them.
29 spline 8.25, 3.55:1, Open, Have it.
D30, 3.55:1, Open Have it.
Paint it! Black paint with white graphics is the plan, I do not like the gold.
Interior: This is still in the planning stages. I'd LOVE to get leather power seats out of a Limited two door (rare beast) and put them in as the seats in it are TRASHED. If it works out well I'd like to have them recovered black with seat heaters installed. I may put later style door guts in (one piece window), power. I will also put power late style mirrors on (a bit larger).

I'd love to have a black Cherokee with black comfy luxury interior for my pavement rig. At this point the only engine / driveline plans is possibly hopped up intake and exhaust, replace the BA/10 for an AX-15 (have it in teh garage) and when I swap transmissions put a 242 in.

Sequoia

I believe the Chief was more like the sport model. It did have some a few extra skid plates, but it was mostly cosmetic differences. Mechanically the same.

hmmm... mine didn't come with any skids...
:-(
how sad.
it did have the factory towing package!
stock d44!
:)

They are a very rare model. I have only seen two other chiefs. I thought the last year was in 89? The other differences are the options you get. I have the rare sunroof option.

If you have pics, any good Decal Shop can replicate them...a friend owns a body shop and has repro decals cut all the time...

I found shop that says they can do the decals. I would also like to track down a comanche chief. The Chief's are classics and dying out. If you find one buy it, save it, restore it.

RD84 said:
I found shop that says they can do the decals. I would also like to track down a comanche chief. The Chief's are classics and dying out. If you find one buy it, save it, restore it.

I am also tryin to find the comanche chief. I am goin to save mine.

I think this is the Cherokee Chief isn't it. I just picked this up for $100! Runs and drives but as you can see there isn't much too it. I'm thinking about getting it road ready with some new lights and then putting a cage in and calling it good.

EDIT: I'm also going to go with a Rusty's 3" and some 31's and probably some new bumpers.

IMAGE_00025.jpg

IMAGE_00024.jpg

IMAGE_00027.jpg

IMAGE_00026.jpg

Last edited:
Back