• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

completly seal inside of the XJ

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
I know htere are a lot of threads about snorkels and waterproofing the engine etc. I was wondering if anyone has tried to completely seal the interior in a way that say you were up to the door handles in water that you would not have water inside the Jeep. I am very unsure if this would be possible. And ideas or thoughts? I don' hold too much hope but it might be fun to see if this can be done.

When I get my cherokee in water that deep, the water comes in the doors at the drains in the bottom of the door, and into the cab through the speaker hole. You would have to seal them up. There are also some at the bottom of the rear quarter panels.

Airplanes use air to inflate the door seals, you may be able to make something like that work.

I gave up on keeping the water out, its not worth the effort. Just get rid of the carpet, make the drain plugs removable, and seal up all electronics.

If you want to float, you should just buy an ARGO 6 or 8 wheeler. I take mine through all kinds of stuff. I had to be pulled out when I broke one of the front axles, and on the same side the rear tire came off the rim. Other than that I've been able to get unstuck under it's own power.:gee:

wELD THE DOORS SHUT AND GLUE THE HATCH ONTO THE BODY AND SILY CONE THE REST-THERE NO MORE LEAKS!!!! but seriously just look at where all along the body under hood as well and try to seal EVERYTHING the best you can.SORRY i just couldnt resist the "here's yer sign" award.party1:

When my 98 was NEW I took it to paragon and crossed a 100yard wide stream, the water was up to about 3" below my door handles and it did not get any inside, it probably took about 3 min to cross as I was concentrating on keeping my bow wake constant. Twice a year I spray all my seals down with silicone spray after wiping them clean and if I know I'm going to be around water I will do it before I leave, that also includes wiping down the corresponding areas where the seals touch on the body

RichP said:
When my 98 was NEW I took it to paragon and crossed a 100yard wide stream, the water was up to about 3" below my door handles and it did not get any inside, it probably took about 3 min to cross as I was concentrating on keeping my bow wake constant. Twice a year I spray all my seals down with silicone spray after wiping them clean and if I know I'm going to be around water I will do it before I leave, that also includes wiping down the corresponding areas where the seals touch on the body

Thats kinda what I was thinking of doing. I allso need to seal the hole for the factory tire carrier in the back. I don't mind getting wet I just don't like cleaning it up after.

I find the water doesn't really come in when you are moving, only when going really slow or at a stop. so don't stop or go slow. kinda like how you can pull the drain plug in yer boat when you are moving and water doens't come in.:banghead:

It helps if you roll up all the windows and run the vents with the fan on high. This increases the pressure in the cab and will help slightly with water leaks...

mccastlej said:
If you want to float, you should just buy an ARGO 6 or 8 wheeler. I take mine through all kinds of stuff. I had to be pulled out when I broke one of the front axles, and on the same side the rear tire came off the rim. Other than that I've been able to get unstuck under it's own power.:gee:

Or alternately buy an old (Pre 198?) Volkswagen Beetle. They float :)

Back