• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaking transmission cooling lines

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I have noticed that the lower one of my transmission cooling lines is leaking fairly bad..im loosing a fair bit of fluid..so i want to change both lines.

is this tricky? how do i go about doing it?

thanks

James

Is it leaking out of one of the crimps where rubber hose attaches to metal?

If you want to be cheap and lazy like me, dremel the crimp off on both ends and replace the line of rubber hose with normal transmission cooler line.....and double clamp it on both ends with hoseclamps.

Works like a charm :)

If not go to Walmart. I bought the Black and Decker type....or they have the dremel type. Get some cutoff wheels and the stuf with the screw on top so you can attach the cutoff wheel to that. Split the crimp horizontally then spread it apart with a screwdriver.....big bam sham!

Before you start cutting, check to see where exactly the leak is. Could be the "quick disconnect" fittings, the plactic connectors that are also used along the fuel lne. Easy to replace, but they're hard to find except at the dealer. About $15 per.

Get a small tube cutter, why fling abrasives and metal filings into your lines? The edges the tube cutter leaves are chamfered, you only need to deburr the inside diameter. I just gave quick scrape with a razor blade, no filings got into the line.
Plus the tube cutter's cuts are rod straight. No shit flies into your eyes, no cut-off wheels shatter, and there's no risk of losing control and cutting anything else. Win-Win scenario.

I did this a year ago, hasnt leaked a drop since. A tube cutter is always handy. Mine was leaking from the return line, where it crosses from radiator to the front of the engine. I just sectioned the hard line, and tossed the leaky rubber line and crimps, spliced in some hydraulic hose and double clamped it on both ends.

I've had a Dremel get loose and damage other things, including myself. Hand held Dremels are no good for accurately sectioning something.

Last edited:
It was just a suggestion. I didn't have any metal shavings get in my lines. Yes, I did look.

Just incase he doesn't have the tube cutter......I don't expect him to go and buy one for one use :)

Back