• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood vents with a twist

I was tossing an idea around in my head about using mesh like you did but also putting in a electric fan on the drivers side to assist in pulling the hot air out of the engine bay.
Updates on material please!!!! mooohahahaha

i do have three 9" electric fans upfront insyead of the belt driven fans, had seen a heater core mounted up there with an electric in it.

Maybe put some trim around the edges of the metal or put the metal under the hood with trim around the holes cut out of the hood??? Might look a bit cleaner. Looks good though.

maybe a dumb question, but what happens when it rains or snows???

I like the design a lot though....

Last edited:
Mesh??

I'd prefer fish net. :D

rhino said:
maybe a dumb question, but what happens when it rains or snows???

I like the design a lot though....

water gets inside the engine compartment....

really though, that's what happens. some people put magnetic sheets over them to protect stuff, others just don't care, and a few get creative and fab up some style gutter system under the hood.

53guy said:
water gets inside the engine compartment....

really though, that's what happens. some people put magnetic sheets over them to protect stuff, others just don't care, and a few get creative and fab up some style gutter system under the hood.

I understand that and that was my point....considering those large vents are basically directly above his TB, fuel rail, spark plugs, and so on; isn't that a large risk? I am originally from IN and know how the weather can act out there...could be monsoons at times....If it works for him and for others that is great, but I was just questioning the risk vs benefit factor...that's all....

No, I get where you're coming from. It's not hard to waterproof those parts and you just have to take precautions against water. Fill your connectors with dielectric grease, use anti-seize on all threaded parts ie, cover all the threads, not just the ones that engage eachother, use dielectric grease on your spark plugs, put RTV around your distributor. There are ways to protect your junk if you think ahead.

53guy said:
No, I get where you're coming from. It's not hard to waterproof those parts and you just have to take precautions against water. Fill your connectors with dielectric grease, use anti-seize on all threaded parts ie, cover all the threads, not just the ones that engage eachother, use dielectric grease on your spark plugs, put RTV around your distributor. There are ways to protect your junk if you think ahead.

Good point! Protecting your junk is ALWAYS a good idea!!!!

Don't underastimate the waterload in a standard car under the hood when you drive on the highway with 80 miles. Rain and mud are coming all over the engine by the front and radopenings. Also by the wheels is coming a lot of water in the motorcomp. Having hoodventilation with vents is an exellent idee for the airflow. Greetins from raining Holland (Europe)

the water so far has not been a problem! I did worry bout that too! as far as the trim i have been looking for that stuff you would use on the door edge but have not been happy with any so far.

http://www.cowlesproducts.com/mold.htm

dooredge.gif

http://www.cowlesproducts.com/styleguard_pg01.htm

http://www.handsontools.com/store-p...Black-Door-Edge-Molding,-50-Kit_25695027.html

$22 bucks for 50' of it.

thanks 53guy, i will have to order some i guess, and yeah i can post up some with mesh under hood. it wont be straight away though, prolly this weekend

Back