• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high idle.. only when it warms up. (Renix)

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 Cherokee 4.0L Manual.

When it is cold and I start it up, it idles around 600-700. Watching the tachometer, I can watch the RPM's slowly rise, in unison as the temperature. Idle will reach 1000-ish this way. After driving it normally around town, and highway etc, it'll idle at 1200-1300. I've set the TPS to 0.837 volts, and devided that by the input volts to make around 17% (what one of me Renix manuals says). So that's perfect.

Checked grounds, they all seem ok. Can someone give me detailed pictures of every single ground? I did notice that, with the positive lead of the voltmeter in terminal C (the top one) of the TPS, and the negative lead grounded on the block, it registered a higher voltage than when the negative lead was in terminal B of the TPS. Ground issue? How would I resolve this?

At the idle speed of 1000 (not driving it, but letting it warm up to it's top idle speed), I disconnected the TPS, and IAC, to no effect. Once when I got it to 1300 RPM by revving it and letting it drop, I turned off the engine, cycled it, then let it start up again. Idle was 950. TPS? I tried revving it and such again, but idle remained at 950.

I have tightened my valve cover, and all of my top intake-manifold bolts are tight (can't get to bottom ones, there's a heat shield in the way). Cleaned and checked my throttle body for tightness - it was tight. Here's the thing:

If I put my finger or a plate over the IAC intake hole, absolutely nothing changes in the engine speed. I noticed that the plunger was pretty visible also, almost fully extended? I put a book over the entire throttle body, and the engine went way down in RPM's, but it still idled. Obviously a vacuum leak? I would also like some diagrams of which vacuum lines I can pull and such. IE I don't know if I can pull the one for the fuel return line.

Frusteraaating.

If you completely sealed off the tb and it still runs, your leak is large. Try intake manifold gasket, tb gasket, or shot brake booster.

After driving it around town, it will idle at 1300. I broguht it home, at 1300 RPM's, shut it off, cycled the key, turned it back on and it idled back at 950.

Does this mean my TPS is fucked?

"I put a book over the entire throttle body, and the engine went way down in RPM's, but it still idled. Obviously a vacuum leak? " Big time vacuum leak!! Get that fixed first, then worry about TPS.

Back