• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which multi-meter?

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
I was at Schucks the other day looking for a multi-meter because I need to get my TPS back to normal. My 87' Chief shifts hard usually in between 20-35mph and it will rev up to about 2k or sometimes off the line wont have any balls. I've done some reading and I'm pretty sure it's my TPS that just needs to be adjusted. I read that it should be .83 volts and 4.8 volts. Is this correct? It's an 87' Chief, automatic etc... Now the question is, which multi-meter should I get? I want something cheap that will get the job done. I asked the lady at the store if the $15 one would do the trick to read my TPS and she looked at me like I was crazy and multi-meters don't do that... I need a cheap one to read my TPS... help...

Thanks

if all you can afford is the $15 one yes you can use it most likely. I honestly would get one a little higher up the price range though as they are very usefull and at times the cheapos dont have enough resistance built in to be sensor and computer safe. Im sure some one else knows the spec for resistance you should look for but right now I cant remember

Any modern digital multimeter will do the trick - even the 10 dollar ones. The only thing you really have to worry about, other than accuracy, is meter loading, a problem with cheap analogs but not with digitals. If you can afford a better meter, though, you might be glad of it later, since they're so handy to have.

The input voltage of about 5 volts may vary. The important figure is the ratio of output to input, not the voltage itself.

Rather than send you to the search function, I'll just append my usual cut and paste paraphrase of the factory service bulletin:

For an 87-90 4.0:

Test is done with throttle closed, connectors connected, ignition on, engine off. Insert probes through back of connectors to make readings. Use a high impedance meter. Adjust TPS by loosening mounting screws and turning in mount.

For manual connect + probe to terminal A, and - to B. Take a reading, which should be in vicinity of 5 volts but probably lower. Note the reading well. Now move the positive probe to terminal C. The reading should be 16 percent of the previous reading.

For Automatic, use the square, 4-terminal plug. Connect probe + to terminal A, and - to D. Note reading, which should be in vicinity of 5 volts. Now move probe + to terminal B. This reading should be 82 % of the first.

Back