• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Bumpstop help

ASJackman

NAXJA Forum User
I have the RE 6200 5.5" kit on with 35x12.50x15 BFG MT's on with Bushwacker fenders. I have the bumpstop that came with the RE 6200 kit plus 3 hockey pucks on both sides. The problem I am having is that when the tire is articulated upwards, it doesn't contact the upper bumpstop and thus is ineffective. Any ideas how to fix this? Possibly with pics? I'm tired of having my Bushwacker's being ripped off. All help is appreciated.

Just went through this on mine, a company called prothane. They have these bumpstops that fit inside the coil, there pretty sweet. google it

Gorilla glue and some hockey pucks. Cheap, easy to replace, and is fully adjustable! :D

No need to drop the springs to install, just slide them through ;)

bcmaxx said:
Just went through this on mine, a company called prothane. They have these bumpstops that fit inside the coil, there pretty sweet. google it
I found their site, but it doesn't seem like the bumpstops they have will work. Do you remember what you ordered? Here's the link I found, click on BUMP STOPS:
http://www.prothane.com/pages/productguide.html

BlackJax said:
Gorilla glue and some hockey pucks. Cheap, easy to replace, and is fully adjustable! :D

No need to drop the springs to install, just slide them through ;)

thanks for the advice, but i already have 3 hockey pucks in on both sides.

Last edited:
ASJackman said:
thanks for the advice, but i already have 3 hockey pucks in on both sides.

Add more then? That's the beauty of the Hockey Puck Bumpstop System (R) (TM) (C) 2001-2007 All Rights Reserved. ;)

Gorilla glue on the pucks and slide them in. DONE. ;)

Here's a shot of my bump stops--the bottom is a 3x4" tube with a stud, screwed into the spring mount:

The problem with pucks, is the snubber up top will miss them under articulation. You can get longer upper rubber from I think energy? or daystar. I can look it up later.

2006-01-17_046.jpg

Get the longer ones,Once they are in you can cut them down to where you like, don't go too short because they compress a couple of inches! You will never bottom out hard again, unlike the hockey puck guys

87manche said:
that coil looks abused Cal.

The locals would tell you it never leaves the driveway.

It looks bad, I had a front oil seal leak, and my trackbar was about an inch too long so its folding over a bit. Its a lot better now, but the pucks still miss the bumpstops.

I'm on the waiting list for prothane coil inserts, but almost no one has them in stock at any given time, and never when I have cash handy ;)

cal said:
The locals would tell you it never leaves the driveway.

It looks bad, I had a front oil seal leak, and my trackbar was about an inch too long so its folding over a bit. Its a lot better now, but the pucks still miss the bumpstops.

I'm on the waiting list for prothane coil inserts, but almost no one has them in stock at any given time, and never when I have cash handy ;)

whta trackbar is that, I like the frame side mount, and plan on doing something similar with my RE1600 trackbar. Just don't like that single shear arrangement.

this thread is officially hijacked BTW.

just so I'm not completely worthless, I used hockey pucks.

Custom trackbar, with the RE HD mount and brace, and currie steering brace.

Ignore all the grease, its clean now.. same leak I talked about before. The gorilla glue on the pucks was a failed experiment.

steering.jpg

yeah I was seriously considering the JKS bracket that you weld onto the stock bracktet, then just flipping the rod end on the 1600 vertical, so I could mount it in doubleshear, and never worry about maxing out the rod end.

You can do that with the RE HD mount as well, but then you can add the bracket brace - which makes a HUGE difference.

The RE trackbar (1600 or 1660) are both too short for any lift over about 5" though .. you barely have any threads in. It's an easy think to make your own..

I have no problems with the pucks (I have five of them and a 5" upper). There is about six inches between the pucks and the upper bumpstop at ride height. Articulation isn't a problem for me. The snubber hits the pucks everytime and I used gorilla glue without issue. If you're really worried, just drill a hole in the center of the pucks and use threaded rod and nuts/washers. ;)

I plan to go with the prothane inserts, when I can find them in stock. I like that they are progressive.

:greensmok If you look close, My upper bump stop (stock) is hitting the puck damn near center. I think Cal's axle is off to the passenger side. Mine is shown at full compression (no spring to stop it):

xjbubba said:
If you look close, My upper bump stop (stock) is hitting the puck damn near center. I think Cal's axle is off to the passenger side.

It was, and i said as much ;)

Its not now, but it still misses. Part if it could be that I inboarded my lower mounts about 3/4", and moved the coils closer to the center of the tube so I can push the front end forward a bit.

cal said:
The problem with pucks, is the snubber up top will miss them under articulation. You can get longer upper rubber from I think energy? or daystar. I can look it up later.

2006-01-17_046.jpg
That's the exact problem i am having. I think quadratec sells the longer uppers. I'll try them.

Back