• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ D30 on XJ?

xjs4jeremy

NAXJA Forum User
Tried searchin, to no avail. My buddies upgrading his D30 & will give me his free. Figured it would be any easy gear upgrade for me. Thought I've read that TJs use standard rotation, whereas XJs are reverse. Are there any Ujoint issues? Any advice/knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

There's nothing wrong w/mine, just going to upgrade gears & install a locker. Since this XJ is my daily, it would save me labor time, as the gears are already installed.

There nothing wrong with using a TJ housing other than it is low pinion. It will bolt up with really no issues. IMO use the TJ outers with TJ brakes and rotors. Ditch the old stuff unless you have an XJ that is 91' or newer. You can also keep your old axles as spares, unless you have an older disco alxe, then you can only use the drivers side one.

Another thought is that the shafts from the TJ D30 would be set up for the stronger 297/760 U-Joints, whereas the D30 shafts in your 88 and 94 use weaker 260 u-joints. If I were you, I'd snag the shafts and sell the rest for a wobbly pop or twelve.

:)

xjs4jeremy said:
Thought I've read that TJs use standard rotation, whereas XJs are reverse.

Not to nit pick, but they both rotate in the same direction.

My XJ is a '94. So if I've gotten your points, I should use the axle shafts & brakes, but ditch the rest? Was hoping to use it for the ring & pinion, but guess not since its low pinion. Should I at least pull out the ring & pinion to install in mine? Thanks for all the input.

Can't, they are not interchangeable, lp and hp R&P's that is.

xjs4jeremy said:
My XJ is a '94. So if I've gotten your points, I should use the axle shafts & brakes, but ditch the rest? Was hoping to use it for the ring & pinion, but guess not since its low pinion. Should I at least pull out the ring & pinion to install in mine? Thanks for all the input.

you answered your own question if you read back one sentence. lol "......use it for the ring & pinion, but guess not since it's a low pinion."

Ya, I realize that now. Thanks for the help guys. Was hoping I missed some possibilities. Maybe I'll just sell/trade it, or at least use the shafts.

I used my buddy's 98 TJ D30 in my 00XJ. It all bolts right in. The only issue is the LP vs HP. I'd probably keep your 94. Both the axles I was dealing with happened to be LP.

DaffyXJ said:
Not to nit pick, but they both rotate in the same direction.

Call superior. Ask for reverse rotation d30 gears. You'll get them..

Back