• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR Bumper Install Complete

ratherbcamping

NAXJA Forum User
Completed the JCR bumper install over the weekend. It took me a couple of weeks to clean it up and paint it. A little grinding, sanding, 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of black gloss enamel auto paint. This was my first time using a gravity feed spray gun. It sure beats spray cans.

The bumper bolted up without any problems, but I wasn’t prepared for how terrible the front end would look without the factory bumper to cover the fender and flare extensions on the front end. So, out came the grinder and reciprocating saw.

Here are some before, during and after pics.

Before.jpg

Untrimed.jpg

After.jpg

Looks good! I'd go ahead and trim the fender and flare even with the bottom of the parking light housing, but that's just me.

bullitt9350 said:
Looks good! I'd go ahead and trim the fender and flare even with the bottom of the parking light housing, but that's just me.
Thanks.

I trimmed as high as I could without hitting brace that connects the fender to the support bracket on the inside. If you look at the second picture, you will see the return. I wanted to go higher and I might later if I figure out a way to do it.

Now it's time to install the rear bumper with the OEM swing away tire mount. Time to drill some holes in the body!

just remove the fender support... or modify it... it looks BAD going past the bottom of the parking light......

i got a chuckle outta the pic of the new bumper installed..... but the stock plastic airdam still there... at least you took care of that problem later

xcm said:
i got a chuckle outta the pic of the new bumper installed..... but the stock plastic airdam still there...

Me too, that's why I took the picture. I searched a lot and I liked the look of this bumper, but I never saw where anyone said that trimming the front fenders and flares was a must. Guess it's not an issue on the 97+ models?

I looked at the brackets a little while ago and I can trim up flush with the bottom of the grill without too much problem.

Back