• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Noise

breecher_7

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so here is my problem. I just picked up a 96 XJ from a family member and it is in great shape. Exeternally and mechanically, previously owned by a lifelong jeep mechanic. Anyways, the jeep makes a knocking sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the engine or front of the transmission. It is louder at startup but fades away as it warms up. I do not believe this to be rod knock as it is not loud enough and doesnt have the bone crushing depth to it but it is somthing and have not yet been able to figure out what. As far as I can see the only problem the jeep has is a leaky rear main......

If anyone has some info here, its greatly appreciated.

I have a similar sound and asked for answers last week - a jeep sound is tough to diagnose over the board.

However, I thought mine was lower end and coming from the same place yours is - turns out, it is just valve/lifter noise.

I suggest seafoam - that stuff works wonders!

Converter bolts were my guess, there is NO way this is valve train...its not present on the top end. Only ticking from the fuel injectors and normal valvtrain sound is present on the top. Im going to take a look at it closer tomarrow. Keep the info coming though!

breecher_7 said:
It is louder at startup but fades away as it warms up. If anyone has some info here, its greatly appreciated.
Based on this sounds to me like an exhaust leak.
My 2 cents.
Sam

Back