• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Question

Crusher16

RRC President
NAXJA Member
I have searched about converting the A/C sytem on my '91 Cherokee, but I'm looking for a different kind of answer.

My Cherokee has been switched over to A/C by a shop about 4 years ago, and about a year and a half ago, it stopped working. I was able to recharge it every now and again and it'd work, but now the compressor doesn't even kick on.

I got another compressor, but it is still R-12. How would I go about converting just the compressor to R134? I plan on vacuuming out the system in the Jeep already before I take the old compressor out and put the new one in. I'm just trying to figure out if there is anything I need to do to the compressor before I put it in.

I'd try to drain the old oil out by leaving it upside down for a while. Then add some Ester oil, 6 ounces should be about right assuming you were able to get about that much out of it. Carquest has the Ester100 stuff, seems to work well in 12/134 swaps.

JJacobs said:
I'd try to drain the old oil out by leaving it upside down for a while. Then add some Ester oil, 6 ounces should be about right assuming you were able to get about that much out of it. Carquest has the Ester100 stuff, seems to work well in 12/134 swaps.

I just add it while its out of the Jeep or after I install it? Do any of the auto stores have Ester oil? And how much R134 would I need to fill up the system again.

Bump.

Going to get the system evacuated tomorrow, and start tearing it apart on Tuesday.

Back