• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender hack

thunderkiss779246

NAXJA Forum User
ive read most of the articles but i dont have the right tool/skill combination or something.

i have a dremel and a grinder and i broke the wheel for the dremel so i went with the grinder and only cut to the holes that the flares were mounted too. is there anyone around ft campbell that could help

When I trimmed my fenders I used a Dremel. You will go through a pack of wheels but I could get a much cleaner cut with it over the grinder. Dremel does make wheels that are heavy duty instead of those really flimsy ones. They're about 8 bones a pack but they're worth it. Take your time and let that wheel do the work. When you get in a hurry, that's when those damn things break.

Oh and welcome to NAXJA and thanks for your service.

for the front, i used the line the old flares left (top of stock flares)as my guide. Used some masking tape and a jig saw. the cut off wheel will work, but will take longer and maybe look a little sloppy.

I used a $ in angle grinder with a cut off wheel and it worked like a charm just take your time...............

Jigsaw for sure. That's how I did mine.

100_0897.jpg

100_0896.jpg

Yeah I realize that you might not have it, but be forwarned that with cutoffs and grinders its really hard to do and get it to look good. I'd strongly recommend borrowing one, or run to harbor freight and get one for $22

i like the rear tube bumper nice work... oh and i have used a cut off wheel, dremel and sawzall- the sawzall is a little harder to cut strait so take your time with the other tools ... the front is easy just remeber on 97+ to lookout for the washer bottle on the driver side and for the rear to can cut up to the pinch seam but dont go farther b/c it will break with fatigue and stress... also mud and water will seep in... if you do cut into it just tack it back or seal it with rtv, etc - good luck!

I used a standard Makita with a 4" wheel for the fender trim, worked out fine. Just make damn sure you hang onto it, otherwise it'll want to jump on you. I would think the sawzall would be tougher to use, plus you need to protect your paint from the foot.

Now I just need to hook up with four rear TJ flares and I'll be golden.

I used my left and right cut metal snips for the front.
A jig saw and a grinder with a zip cut wheel for the rears.
You'll need a mig to sew the rear fenders up again.

IF you have access to an air compressor get an air saw for body werk.IT is the best tool i have seen for doing this plus i used one fer when i cut mine out.Very clean cuts,plus it makes ya just want to use it that much more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Time to insert TIM the tool man taylor "grunt" right here!:sunshine:

i purchased a black&decker single speed jigsaw at walmart for $17 and change. plus $2 and change for a pair of blades.

it has served me quite well

Back