• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood spacing to increase cooling

Yep!

It's easily done, and can be accomplished with only a handful of washers. Just do one side at a time, and watch the alignment of the hood when you close it the first time. (Shouldn't be too off, but you never can tell.)

:)

I used 1'' square tubing. Not sure how much it helped, but it did something.

I dont think it looks stupid, but I dont really care all that much if it does.

Picture022-1.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Just some pointless poser pics, but you get the idea. Isnt all that noticable.

If you need a cheap, easy, and easily reversible mod, then I say go for it. I haven't run my XJ in the hot summer temps yet; but if there's any problems, I'll be doing this modification.

:)

It might only look stupid if you go extreme and put more than an inch space in there, to the point where your hood is tilted way up...I have 1/2" spacers (aluminum blocks with holes drilled) and you can hardly tell the difference, but it gives me the clearance i need to fit a TB spacer and K&N Air Intake...and i'm sure some heat gets out since the rear hood seal is...well, not sealed...

I used 1"x1" square tubing.
Now everyone ask's why my hood doesn't fit.
It runs a bit cooler, looks a bit cooler.

I just beat down the metal strip that holds the hood gasket. The part along the cowl especially on the ends. You woun't belive how much more air can get thru with your hood spacers. I was going to add more washers but by beating this strip down I doubled what I had over the 1/2 spacer alone. I can see into the engine compartment now. You can bend it back if you want to seal the cowl for some reason.

Stumpalump said:
You can bend it back if you want to seal the cowl for some reason.

Some reason,like, keeping rain out? Ive done "breaking the seal" on hood mods before on cars. the engine will quickly start developing rust and other symptoms you dont want under there. IE i cut the hood on my VW Fox in half down the middle, to make it hinged on the fenders, if you can picture it.
It worked well, but i could never really get the seal to , well, seal.Of course there was a blower sticking out of it right in the milddle. It looked badd a$$ but water was getting in Damnit. Living in a coastal region doesnt help. If i were in the desert it wouldnt be a problem

I had that mod on mine and it helped some but the paint that came on my radiator got very stinky when it was hot and because I couldn't stand the smell I took it back off.

I was police officer/deputy sheriff for number of years and when I worked traffic in 100 degree days in July in Alabama. The draw on the battery made it impossible to shut the car off with all the lights and etc. You did two things after stopping a car. First, turn on AC and then pop the hood so just the safety latch caught. The two inches on a long traffic stopped could make the difference in rather warm motor and one with the hand buried in red. I don't know about the washers per se but I know it makes a huge difference under certian conditions. Those being low slow speeds in high heat conditions. If you plan on wheeling in hot conditions and where it is slow go, it might be wise or you could just pop the hood and let vent :)

Bill

Back