• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel guage issues.... searched

XJ9888

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a 98 XJ with 160K on it. My fuel guage started acting eratic today. On my way to work it went from emty to 3/4(actual amount of fuel) back and forth the whole way. After i got off of work, i started it up and the guage read a little above empty(should be at 3/4). What got me was that the low fuel light came on as well. I know i have at least 3-4 of a tank. Im thinking it is a fuel pump(sending unit), but just wanted to know if anyone had similar problems and found out it was not the fuel pump. Thanks

there was a recall on some model 97+, but I don't remember which model. The recall was due to a big lawsuit where some woman ran out of gas and was murdered...as best I remember.
Check with your local dealer, but it is most likely the sending unit on the pump.

My 2000 does the same, and it will actually creep up little bits at a time as you drive it. Only does it on rare occasions, and I'm too broke to fix it. Besides, at $3/gallon, I've been trying to keep tabs on my mileage (piss poor
icon10.gif
), so I just guesstimate.

It is the sending unit on the fuel pump, the part is cheap, labor is the killer, gotta drop the tank. Recall was 97 for the scenario posted above which did not happen but was a possibility and was the reason for the lawsuit and recall as I remember. My 98 has done it since about a month after the warranty ran out when it was new in dec of 97, it was manufactured in sept of 97. I drive by the trip odometer and have for the last 8 or so years... all our 97 and 98 TJ's do the same thing BTW...
When my fuel pump dies I'll fix it... The annoying thing on the 97TJ's are that every time you start it it defaults back to the odometer so you have to hit the button to go to the trip vs the XJ which stays where it last was... Rule of thumb is whoever is driving whichever refills at 200mi....
Just a side note, my wifes oldsmobile also has the same issue, go figure, wife has driven by trip meter since it was new, she has never trusted a gas gauge in her life and keeps a little spiral bound notbook in the drivers side door pocket, notes gas, oil changes, the works.

Last edited:
Yeah i filled up again and it works fine. Its kinda nice because i have the common issue with my fuel tank where it will cut out when you go around left turns if it is below 1/4. Thats my indicator to fill up i guess :spin1: . I could see if i can buy just the sending unit, i work in a shop so the labor is free. but i think i will wait till it craps out

Back