• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this "bottle" looking thing???

MIXEDBREED

NAXJA Forum User
I removed my rfont bumper so that I could cut the front fenders a bit, and there was a black "bottle" looking thing attatched to the inside of the bumper on the right side. What is it? Do I need it?

91XJ/3.5" Lift 32" BFG Muds/Qick Disc

Vacuum cannister. It should be split in half internally - one half is to maintain vacuum for your cruise control, the other for your HVAC controls.

You can relocate it, but you should keep it - otherwise, you end up blowing out the defrost vents all the time.

its the bumper egg as some like to call it :)

ya its for vacum i forgot to reconnect it one time and my cruise wouldnt work and the heater woudlnt change between the different vent settings

I ran withoug one for about a year. Some annoyances with the heat but not a very big deal.

1stXJEver said:
Crap!!! I was trying to relocate it and the tube broke in half...If it ain't one thing...It another!

If it's the plastic line they sell that stuff cheap at ACE hardware, funny as it sounds it's in the Air Conditioner isle. It's the same tubing used for the feed line to a swamp cooler. :dunno: I got about 25' of hose and with that you can run it pretty mush where ever. Just got to find a spot now :repair: Good Luck

4x4life05 said:
If it's the plastic line they sell that stuff cheap at ACE hardware, funny as it sounds it's in the Air Conditioner isle. It's the same tubing used for the feed line to a swamp cooler. :dunno: I got about 25' of hose and with that you can run it pretty mush where ever. Just got to find a spot now :repair: Good Luck

Got the line from the yard and relocated infront of the passenger firewall (w/zipties incase I need to move it again)

gjxj said:
I ran withoug one for about a year. Some annoyances with the heat but not a very big deal.

That's because it controls the heater doors and the cruise control. If youy don't need either of those...then you don't need it...but then you do want the heat to blow on you when it's cold...right?

Not true, when the engine is cruising along normally there is enough vacuum to keep the vents at their positions and keep the cruise control engauged. The vacuum canister technically isn't be used then, and it only being "charged up" by being pressurized with a vacuum.

But, for instance, at wide open throttle - there is very little vacuum.....this is where the vacuum canister comes into play. It keeps the vents opened and the cruise engauged when at wide open throttle, even when there's a large lack of vacuum pressure.

No, the vaccuum for the CAD motor is independant of the canister.

Us 2.5 guys are lucky to have some extra room behind the grill. That's where mine got moved to:

Jeff

moved.jpg

I mounted mine next to the steering box, mounted as it was in the bumper (both bolts on the bottom)I used an existing hole for one of the bolts and had to drill one more...Added about a foot of vacuum line for the move.

I mounted mine next to the steering box, mounted as it was in the bumper (both bolts on the bottom)I used an existing hole for one of the bolts and had to drill one more...Added about a foot of vacuum line for the move.

Jeff in VA said:
No, the vaccuum for the CAD motor is independant of the canister.

Us 2.5 guys are lucky to have some extra room behind the grill. That's where mine got moved to:

Jeff

moved.jpg

You're still even more lucky than me! I have the football looking one, it's a little harder to cram in to places...anybody have any ideas???

Back