• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High steer set up for 8" lift

gixxer410

NAXJA Forum User
pic.jpg
I I need some input on a good high steer set up. I have been told to use wj knuckles, use the teraflex knuckle, flip the ball joints on the knuckles(?), and several different things to do back yard style that will probably leave me on the side of the road!!! I Have an 8'' long arm kit sitting on 35's with a D30 in the front. I want to keep the 30 for now due to the fact I just stuffed it with 4.88 gears and a new carrier. I have fords 8.8 rear end locked so I plan on staying open in the front, for now. If someone can give me some good knowledge on a "reliable" high steer set up I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Tera knuckle. Higher than WJ, less expensive than WJ. If you don't put the linkages as high as possible, you may not need the 3.5" or less backspace wheels that I needed. Or, you could finally have an excuse to get rid of those black steel wheels.

Here was what I was running on my 30 w/8" lift:

trackbar4.jpg

Tera knuckle, WJ TRE's on the tie rod, JKS WJ tierod, Custom made draglink, RE trackbar bracket, JKS Build your own Track bar kit, JKS over the axle TB bracket. Flipped the TRE's and draglink TRE on the Tera Knuckle by reaming from top and using inserts.

Set up worked great. Zero bumpsteer and very tight steering. Better than the stock linkage at stock height.

I went WJ. I liked my warn hub kit i paid 999 for so i got a currie 9 housing with 30 outers. the 12" rotors (ford sport trac, 01) and bigger brakes was a pretty good improvement. for steering QA1 hiems, 5/8", 3/4 threads, 1.5" .250 DOM, bungs. im running a stabilizer off my trac bar brace to the draglink for now. JKS axle bracket for the trac bar
4pui6f7.jpg

gixxer410 said:
Is the high steer system that tera has worth the money?

I think the tie rod and draglink are aluminum in the full Tera kit. Plus I think the tie rod ends are straight so if you flip them over to the top of the knuckle then the tie rod will hit the coil buckets and/or the diff cover when turning. The WJ TRE's have a bend in them the pushes the tie rod out a bit from the axle so it doesn't hit when turning.

I personally wouldn't buy the whole kit.

Mosephus said:
Where has been the best price you guys have seen for the Tera knuckle

Also Gasman, how much would you estimate you spent on your steering minus the track bar stuff, thats basically what I've been wanting to run, but have been hesitant to just dig in because of potential costs and trouble finding prices.

I bought the Tera knuckle used for $150. I think regular price is around the $249 range. You're probably looking at around $500 or so for a new knuckle and the linkages w/TRE's. Add another $200 or so for the trackbar stuff. I see used knuckles on different boards occasionally so it pays to look around. 4x4Rockshop is a good source for the JKS stuff.

I admit I am slightly jealous but I am not doing bad for my first real xj build from stock. Where did you get spring buckets and what axle is that? Looks good!

Back