• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about 8.25 detroit

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at an xj catalog and it listed a Detroit full case locker for an 8.25 rearend. My question is how do you get the c clips on the axles? I was thinking about replacing my powertrax locker with one of these but dont have a clue how this would work.
If this is a stupid question because the answer is terribly easy I'm sorry I just cant picture how it will work. Thanx Digger

getting the c-clips shouldn't be your biggest concern. anybody can do that (remove diff cover, remove bolt from cross pin, remove cross pin, push axles inward and remove clip).

your biggest concern should be installing the full detroit carrier. you'll have to set up the gears again, and if you don't know how to do that, then you should either find somebody who does know how to do it. PROPERLY, not somebody who once saw somebody do it. or pay a shop to do it. either way, you're probably looking at $200+ for installation.

Since He would only be pulling the carrier,its easy!Pull a pattern and backlash prior to removal.Re-setting that on a "spanner" style axle could be done by my sister!

Just curious, why spend all that money on a detroit when you already have a locker? Is your locker broken? I just put a lockright in my 8.25 and am very happy with it.

When I first installed it my tire pressures in the rear were having issues. On the freeway it would torque steer something terrible but that turned out to be because of uneven tire pressures. After removing my tires from the beads and cleaning the dirt out, they held air and I was able to keep even pressure. Now that my pressures are right the locker is almost unnoticable unless you are truning sharply and on the gas hard. It makes some noise in tight turns but is very quiet when turning a bigger circle. I definitely reccomend this locker for the price and ease of installation. If you need help installing one shoot me a PM. John

Back