• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I damage my PCM?

CJ~Abuzer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I will start from the beginning.

I have a 2000 Cherokee 4.0L (federal emissions) 4x4 AW-4 NP231. My check engine light came on, I hooked it up to check the codes and it was throwing these...

P0132
P0135
P0138
P0141

..and that pretty much pointed me in the direction of the O2 sensors. I went to replace both with Bosch O2 sensors and discovered my exhaust was bent on the cross tube under the motor and it had driven the O2 sensor into the bell housing bolt...ripping off two wires.

I heated the O2 sensor fitting with the old O2 sensor still in and disconnected from the wiring with a torch and bent the fitting so the O2 sensor came out at a small angle so it is now beside the bell housing bolt. I then replaced both O2 sensors, reset the computer, and took it for a drive.

After 4 minutes of driving, the check engine light came back on. I took it back home, hooked it back up, and got the same trouble codes. I discovered from the computer that the voltage was running high for longer than 4 minutes on the O2 sensors. The sensors are running at 4.87 volts for the upstream and 4.54 volts on the other. I understand that the voltage is supposed to be between .5 and 1.0 volts, right?

I was wondering if this sounds like a faulty PCM. I didn't know if it got fried when the wiring was shorted against the bell housing bolt.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Back