• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case help... and other

Cypress

NAXJA Forum User
The other day i started hearing a noise sorta like a chain rubbing against metal... so i put my jeep up on the hoist and low and behold i could hear that it was coming from the transfer case... knowing that the Tcase has a chain in it i figured it was the chain....... whenever i shift the jeep into 4 hi or 4 lo it makes a really loud banging sound coming from the t case then it evens out to a rumble.... so my question is what model is my Tcase on a 1989 Jeep cherokee Laredo with the AW4 trans with the I6 4.0L NOT high output? thats question 1

Q2
Whenever i go to make a left hand turn there is a sort of clunk that only happens when i make a left hand turn...?? what could it be?? suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Cypress from Canada:NAXJA:

#1 there is a tag on the transfer case that will tell you what case it is. its a silver circle with a red outline and a line thru the middle. on there it should say NP ### stamped in, not printed on it. either 231 or 242. may be some others but those i think are the most common 2

#2 the clunking is usually a U-joint in the front end, loose steering box bolts, or a loose track bar or mount.

hope this helps you out!

-mike

What does your t-case lever shift pattern look like?

If it reads '2-hi, 4-hi, N, 4-lo' then it's the NP 231 Command-Trac part-time unit. If it reads '2-hi, 4-part time, 4-full time, N, 4-lo' then it's the NP 242 'Selec-Trac' full-time t-case.

:)

eep!

Stupid browser said Naxja wasn't talking to me, so I tried again and now have a shameful double-post!

*sigh*

Apologies to all. I shall now commit Seppuku.

:(

Last edited:
Back